Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Vacuflush duckbill replacement

I have a pair of VG2 vacuum generators on my boat. Both have been untouched for 17 years since new and one of the systems is starting to leak vacuum. The VG2 has a pair of duckbills on either side of the vacuum generator pump. How do you guys back out the male coupler with solid threads on the vacuum tank side in between the 2 duckbills? The only thing I can find on the Google is a guy that just grabs the center of the threads with a pair of channel locks. There must be a more elegant solution than playing Russian roulette with the coupler threads. If was a smaller threaded rod I would use 2 nuts locked on the end but this looks like its 1.5" in diameter. Number 19 in the diagram.

Thanks,

George

VG2 Parts.jpg
    Last edited by Reefgeorge; 11-12-2019 at 10:36 PM.
    Florida
    2002 Cabo 47
    MAN mechanical 800/8's

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality"

Re: Vacuflush duckbill replacement

No. 19 is a close nipple. Grab it with a set of channel locks and it should come loose. Don’t worry about the threads.The duckbill lip makes the seal when it’s put back together not the threads on the close nipple. There is no elegant way to do it. Hand tight when you reassemble.
    Jim
    Cranston, Rhode Island
    1989 41c Hull# 881

Chanel locks work just fine

Put some liquid soap on the duckbill flanges when installing to prevents the DB from distorting

Also if 17 years I would replace the bellows. They can crack with age and when they do... it s messy as they squirt “stuff” out.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

At 17 years I'd think about replacing the whole pump. Especially if the motors are driving via straight cut gears instead of worm on a 90 degree. The newer style make far less noise.
    Regards
    Dan

They make a kit that includes a new motor. Much cheaper than a new pump.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat