Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Panhandle Fuel Polishing

Such a simple solution to this but I guess some don't read as good as they think
    But it sure does Joy to my day to read this stuff.
    LOL
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

Jimmy
    2000 Mainship 390 "Anticipation"
    Currenty at The Wharf, Orange Beach AL
    http://anticipation-cruisingwiththeb...1_archive.html

Quote Originally Posted by 34Hatt View Post
    Such a simple solution to this but I guess some don't read as good as they think
    But it sure does Joy to my day to read this stuff.
    LOL
    I got a giggle out of your post too, Lt. Da-an, but what is this simple solution that we’ve missed, and who is Joy?
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Word to the wise, don’t let the owner start dumping snake oil in the fuel. Remember algae lives in the water on the bottom of the tank and feeds on the interface of the fuel water. When someone adds a biocide it kills the algae which then float up into the fuel and gets caught in the filters. I’m not a believer in fuel polishing. Better to have someone get a suction tube to the bottom of the tank and make sure there is no water in the tank.
    But if you can’t get that done snake oils will only make things worse.
    Also don’t run the filters till they plug. Hopefully there are gauges. Mine read in inches hg and I don’t run them above 15”.
    Also remember to shut off the fuel supply valve before you crack the filter top. This is the biggest issue people normally have getting the system air bound. If you don’t shut off the valve all the fuel in the feed line will siphon back to the tank and it will be a bitch to reprime. Just remember to open the valve again before you restart.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyB View Post
    Thanks for the input. I just called them, but it seems boats aren’t their strong suit, and it would be a while before they could get to it. Add to that they were talking around $1,500 for their services, and we’ll just stick with LOTS of extra filters and regular ER checks. I’m just glad this isn’t going to be a solo run.

Like Scott said, hopefully there are gauges, but we’ll see.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    Word to the wise, don’t let the owner start dumping snake oil in the fuel. Remember algae lives in the water on the bottom of the tank and feeds on the interface of the fuel water. When someone adds a biocide it kills the algae which then float up into the fuel and gets caught in the filters. I’m not a believer in fuel polishing. Better to have someone get a suction tube to the bottom of the tank and make sure there is no water in the tank.
    But if you can’t get that done snake oils will only make things worse.
    Also don’t run the filters till they plug. Hopefully there are gauges. Mine read in inches hg and I don’t run them above 15”.
    Also remember to shut off the fuel supply valve before you crack the filter top. This is the biggest issue people normally have getting the system air bound. If you don’t shut off the valve all the fuel in the feed line will siphon back to the tank and it will be a bitch to reprime. Just remember to open the valve again before you restart.
    Wow what a flash back I thought I was reading a post from Genesis

So you think when you have fuel problem its only because of water in the tank so all the years of crud that is most likely in the bottom of your tank can't come loss because of rocking"specially if it was a dock Queen like the majority of them" and cause a filter to clog?
    Pretty sure this is what Randy is worried about and there is no way for polishing to get it all out because of baffles. My tanks are spotless because I am able to get my hand into both of them and they are 52 years old now. I don't run vacuum gauges because I don't have fuel problems and just change the filters every 300- 400 hrs mainly due to Guilt of not doing them.
    But hey don't listen to me I use snake oil for the last 14 years so I don't know anything I just go by experience.
    Beside Racor and the others needs to sell filters
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

Snake oil is good when the tank is clean to begin with. It helps to keep crap from starting.

I am assuming there's a way to run separate tanks to separate engines? IOW don't run both on the same supply? Separate filtration too? One craps up the other keeps humming so you can get the dead one back on line without floating onto the leeward shore with two dead engines?
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Heard from the owner today who had the fuel polished and the tanks cleaned. Seems they removed a bunch of crap, which is a good thing. I may still take her out in the Gulf for a little rock and roll before we cross. American Clean Fuel out of Foley, AL did the work. They were rather proud of their services (IMO), but they definitely got it done quickly after supplying a quote.

Still planning on heading out on 12/03 and will have a couple of days running under our belts before we get out of sight of land.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by 34Hatt View Post
    Wow what a flash back I thought I was reading a post from Genesis

So you think when you have fuel problem its only because of water in the tank so all the years of crud that is most likely in the bottom of your tank can't come loss because of rocking"specially if it was a dock Queen like the majority of them" and cause a filter to clog?
    Pretty sure this is what Randy is worried about and there is no way for polishing to get it all out because of baffles. My tanks are spotless because I am able to get my hand into both of them and they are 52 years old now. I don't run vacuum gauges because I don't have fuel problems and just change the filters every 300- 400 hrs mainly due to Guilt of not doing them.
    But hey don't listen to me I use snake oil for the last 14 years so I don't know anything I just go by experience.
    Beside Racor and the others needs to sell filters
    14 whole years WOW. And change filters with cosmic mind intuition. Maybe Randy should get some “essential oils” to get rid of his bad ju ju too
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

The simple beauty of a fuel crossover is shining bright here. It’s not just filters that crap clogs.
    Attached Images
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC