Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Panhandle Fuel Polishing

I was surprised to learn there are apparently no fuel polishing services in the Mobile area, and the closest outfit is in NOLA. Anybody know of any such services between Orange Beach and Carrabelle?

I hate taking a boat offshore with funky/gunky fuel, and I have to get this one to Sarasota.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Re: Panhandle Fuel Polishing

Clearly the next Bird venture... in the unlikely event I find myself down there, I will hae the fuel polished whether it needs it or not...

Just found out the outfit in NOLA moved to Maryland, so even that isn't an option anymore. Bigbill has been lending me some of his local expertise as well as knowing some background on this particular boat that's been sitting a while. Survey showed algae in the fuel filters, so it's pretty much a given the tank is going to be growing some funky stuff that even polishing may not cure with those baffled tanks. Yes, there will be LOTS of filters onboard.

I think I'll take it outside at either Mobile, Perdido, or Pensacola and let it rock and roll to Destin. Then maybe I'll do that again the next day from either Destin or Panama City to Port St Joe for the same reason. If it doesn't choke and puke on me in those stretches, it should be fine (famous last words) crossing to Steinhatchee from East Pass.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by Freeebird View Post
    Just found out the outfit in NOLA moved to Maryland, so even that isn't an option anymore. Bigbill has been lending me some of his local expertise as well as knowing some background on this particular boat that's been sitting a while. Survey showed algae in the fuel filters, so it's pretty much a given the tank is going to be growing some funky stuff that even polishing may not cure with those baffled tanks. Yes, there will be LOTS of filters onboard.

I think I'll take it outside at either Mobile, Perdido, or Pensacola and let it rock and roll to Destin. Then maybe I'll do that again the next day from either Destin or Panama City to Port St Joe for the same reason. If it doesn't choke and puke on me in those stretches, it should be fine (famous last words) crossing to Steinhatchee from East Pass.
    Anyway to plumb in a big filter with a recirc pump? just run it non stop, the rocking rolling will stir it up and the pump recircing at a high volume will hopefully remove most of the junk before it fouls the mains filters.

Maybe worth taking her out on a bay test run and run some circles for a while to slosh everything around with the pump running and see what you pull out. If it plugs the filter that quick you need to polish for sure.

An old timer I know had a polishing rig setup with a big mason jar then to big truck filter. The fuel flowed through the mason jar first which trapped any water and allowed you to visually see how bad/good the fuel was. His return line was plumbed to a long piece of flexible copper, he would shove it down into the tank and scrape the bottom and shoot the pressure all around to stir up as much gunk as possible.
    Last edited by rustybucket; 11-12-2019 at 01:34 PM.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

We took 18 Racors and 10 secondaries on our recent trip. Port tank was gunking up the filter badly, but we ended up only using 3 Racors in 480 miles and that included some serious rocking and rolling. I took extra diesel for priming, empty containers for the drained fuel, small containers that I could fit under the Racors for draining and trash compactor bags to put the used filters in.

What is the outfit that moved to Maryland? I might want to give them a try.
    Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA

Quote Originally Posted by rustybucket View Post
    Anyway to plumb in a big filter with a recirc pump? just run it non stop, the rocking rolling will stir it up and the pump recircing at a high volume will hopefully remove most of the junk before it fouls the mains filters.

Maybe worth taking her out on a bay test run and run some circles for a while to slosh everything around with the pump running and see what you pull out. If it plugs the filter that quick you need to polish for sure.

An old timer I know had a polishing rig setup with a big mason jar then to big truck filter. The fuel flowed through the mason jar first which trapped any water and allowed you to visually see how bad/good the fuel was. His return line was plumbed to a long piece of flexible copper, he would shove it down into the tank and scrape the bottom and shoot the pressure all around to stir up as much gunk as possible.
    Mason jars and copper line?

Hmmm...
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by Jammin' View Post
    We took 18 Racors and 10 secondaries on our recent trip. Port tank was gunking up the filter badly, but we ended up only using 3 Racors in 480 miles and that included some serious rocking and rolling. I took extra diesel for priming, empty containers for the drained fuel, small containers that I could fit under the Racors for draining and trash compactor bags to put the used filters in.

What is the outfit that moved to Maryland? I might want to give them a try.
    I don't remember their name, but their number is 800/453-8265
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by Freeebird View Post
    I don't remember their name, but their number is 800/453-8265
    Thanks. Clean Fuels Associates 844-362-9692. I just spoke to them.
    Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA

This is why we installed our own fuel polisher system.
    Have a manifold to pick up from any of the 3 tanks and return it to any of the 3 tanks.
    Has a timer so we just run it when we're in the ER or around 1 tank at a time.
    Can also use it to transfer fuel from tank to tank.
    Attached Images
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    This is why we installed our own fuel polisher system.
    Have a manifold to pick up from any of the 3 tanks and return it to any of the 3 tanks.
    Has a timer so we just run it when we're in the ER or around 1 tank at a time.
    Can also use it to transfer fuel from tank to tank.
    That's definitely a nice setup.

I got a call from a fellow HOF'er/friend in the area who has offered up his own, portable fuel polishing system. I have to say, some of the best friends a man could ever have are on this forum. I found that out all those years ago when I did the one winged trip back home with the 58. The support I received on that trip was overwhelming. I'll not name the member who offered me that polishing unit as to avoid having everybody else wanna borrow it.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93