Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Looking for a 58 LRC

The one on the LRC site is 350k and has the 671s. Has anyone tried the great loop on a 58lrc? I think it is too tall, but it would be awesome to be able to do it and some passagemaking.

Pm response sent to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ledfoot2 View Post
    The one on the LRC site is 350k and has the 671s. Has anyone tried the great loop on a 58lrc? I think it is too tall, but it would be awesome to be able to do it and some passagemaking.
    I would wonder about the draft also
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

That's alot of boat to fight current with and not alot of HP.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I have never driven one. Evidently they do okay, but I can't verify from personal experience.

You would think if they were a dog at handling, they wouldn't be so popular. They seem to have held their value well and a lot of owners love them, despite their complexity and huge size.

We had one across the harbor from us for years “Family Affair” the thing was constantly rolling in the slip. All that mass with a round bottom is like a pendulum once it starts moving. Queen even made a song about them. Round bottom boats make your rocking world go round or something to the effect.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

They DO roll, I've heard stories on that one.

Having my 58 LRC for a season, I can share my experience on the roll and docking....

With a 6' draft, you certainly need to take current into account. I misjudged the current in my new marina/slip this season and ended up against a couple boats unexpectedly.

You also have to remember that the 58 LRC has a 3:1 transmission ratio. That means that if you're coming in at idle of 550-600 RPM, then the prop is only turning ~200 RPM.. that's not moving a "lot" of water across the rudder. I've learned to apply a little more power in docking which helps me maintain better manuverability.

I happen to have a bow thruster which helps me significantly with manuverability... particularly in tight quarters operation and when battling wind and current.

IMO, the 671's are sufficient power for handling and docking. I'm pushing 34 x 34 3-blade props, which "can" move a lot of water, but you're handling a 55 ton vessel and need to be aware of many factors that affect the handling. It's much differnt than the handling of my previous 46' sportfish weighing 22 tons with four blade props.

I do wonder if 4-blade props would "improve" handling ... my gut and previous experience in going from 3-blade to 4-blade props tells me yes.

We've had some significant weather in CT this summer/fall. Some days were 50-60 knot winds. I will say that my boat does NOT roll at the dock very much. With 2000+ gallons of fuel and 500+ gallons of water down very low in the boat provides significant ballast which lends to being pretty stable in the slip. I guess if you are light on fuel and water much of the time, the roll characteristics in the slip would likely be different....

One of the challenges for me is backing down from the pilot house station with very restricted visibility. I've installed a back-up camera to help alleviate some of that.
    Last edited by JD5652; 11-14-2019 at 02:59 PM.
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL

I own a 58' LRC and I am selling

My LRC is a 1980. It has 6-71s under 2400 hours. 16 and 10 KW Northern lights generators under 300 hours. It has 4 head, one on the main deck. It has stabilizers and bow thruster. Electronics include Garmin, Simrad Chart Plotters/Depth finders. Radar is Simrad. Three VHF radios 2 ICOM and a Simrad.

JD, just to clarify I meant rolling while underway, not at the dock. I agree that the weight and ballast are such that rolling at the dock would be unlikely, unless the weather were truly awful.