Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Best wax that won't streak from rain

Just spent the better part of the morning scrubbing and wiping down the boat today from last nights tropical rains. I have a great detailer but whatever wax he uses works well for short rains but when we get continuous long rain it shows marks and streaks. About 60% comes off but there are still gray shadows.

My detailer will use anything I supply them so no issues there. We do the full detail every 4 months. Looking for something that is easier for me to keep up with in-between. Any suggestions? Unwinnable situation?

Re: Best wax that won't streak from rain

This comes highly recommended from a fellow Hatteras owner that I know. I have ordered it and am waiting for it to arrive this Monday. The only reason I am recommending it is because I’ve seen his boat and it is absolutely spectacular. He wipes it on not in swirls but just up and down or side to side and wipes it off easy as pie. It’s even shinier when you buff it off with a low speed buffer. You won’t be disappointed
    Attached Images
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

There will surely be many opinions on detailing systems, here are my thoughts:

The vast majority of professionals around here use the 3M system.

I am a 40 year Megguiars guy but I bailed on them after I started using their newer Flagship line because of streaking/mold issues and started using the Presta system which I am very happy with.

Hands down the most decorated boat wax on the planet is Collonite paste wax and I can confirm that its fantastic for shine beading and durability but its more labor intensive. Their liquid waxes are also very good, especially insulator wax for metal although I accidentally waxed some metal with my Presta fiberglass wax a few years a go and like it just as good so I use that now.

George
    Florida
    2002 Cabo 47
    MAN mechanical 800/8's

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality"

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    This comes highly recommended from a fellow Hatteras owner that I know. I have ordered it and am waiting for it to arrive this Monday. The only reason I am recommending it is because I’ve seen his boat and it is absolutely spectacular. He wipes it on not in swirls but just up and down or side to side and wipes it off easy as pie. It’s even shinier when you buff it off with a low speed buffer. You won’t be disappointed

Seven, Madhatter would be even happier if you came over and did it for him to show him how well it works. Then you could explain ever thing to him and at what speed it is best to set buffer. Although, if you did it ever time that would be an even better deal for him. Have a fine Cally day. Matter of fact I am sure a lot of people would like to try the product under these circumstances.
    Regards;
    Byron
    “In this world, you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant. Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant.”
    ― Elwood P. Dowd

I've been using Yacht Brite for years. I like the stuff. It was developed by a lady that did boat detailing. She used to mix several wax/polish brands together to get what she wanted. Then my friend set her up in business and they had a lab recreate her mixture and started selling it. Eventually SeaRay specified it for all of their boats and the business took off and she ended up selling it to Shurhold.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by Byresch View Post
    Seven, Madhatter would be even happier if you came over and did it for him to show him how well it works. Then you could explain ever thing to him and at what speed it is best to set buffer. Although, if you did it ever time that would be an even better deal for him. Have a fine Cally day. Matter of fact I am sure a lot of people would like to try the product under these circumstances.
    I’m more of a Tom Sawyer than a do the job myself. 😂 if my back wasn’t so bad I’d give it a try.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

100% Collinite guy.
    Gene
    Former Owner 1974 Hatteras Yachtfish
    Glittering Image

Hull # 50
    Total Production 1972-1975 Sixty Four

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    I just wanted to give you an update, I bought this material and waxed half of my boat and it is so easy to use and it is so easy to wipe off even in the sun. Extremely pleased.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

How do any of these hold up over time and especially black streaking/gray areas from long periods of rain?

All detailers are good at making it look great the day they do it. We go four months between detailing and need to be able to keep it nice between. I get that I may not find anything streak free but a reduction would be nice. My detail company is open to using any product I want.

Collinite paste wax has good longetivity (among the best) but it’s more labor intensive to apply.

George
    Florida
    2002 Cabo 47
    MAN mechanical 800/8's

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality"