Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Boat Sink Veterans

My last divorce was made final in late July of ‘15. It was very amicable throughout. A few hours after the hearing, my new ex texted me. She said it was great seeing me and that it was a tough day, and that she hoped I was getting through it ok. I texted her back with the pic and that I was headed to FL to bring my new boat back (first she’d heard of it). I was kind. What I didn’t mention was all during the brief hearing my girlfriend was circling the block waiting to drive us to Ft. Myers (parking is such a hassle in Charleston). I think I was getting over her a bit sooner than she liked.
    Attached Images
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

I joined as an ex officio member tonight

https://www.samsmarine.com/forums/sh...supper-tonight

Quote Originally Posted by Briankinley2004 View Post
    I joined as an ex officio member tonight

https://www.samsmarine.com/forums/sh...supper-tonight
    You sunk a boat to fit in, but we’ve moved on to divorce now. Wait a minute, did SHE cause that boat to sink?
    Last edited by Freeebird; 11-07-2019 at 10:51 PM.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

I tell everyone that the worst thing my ex wife ever did to me was leaving ME the boat!

Walt Hoover

I’ve seen several of center console boats with the outboard brackets take a wave over the transom and roll over quicker than quick. I have to wonder if that’s not what happened to those 2 kids that disappeared last year and the firefighters recently. We saw a 31 contender go down off Elbow Cay a few years back. It wasn’t a real bad day we were in a fleet fishing an offshore structure known as “the bridge” this contender passed us close and saw we were hooked up he turned down sea and was overtaken by a decent sized wave probably 6-8’ I was watching him because he looked like he was going to turn into our baits. As he slid off the back of the wave I thought he’s going to be lucky if the motors don’t drowned out. After the motors disappeared the bow kept coming up until there was just a few feet above the water. I couldn’t get turned around quick enough and a friend of mine in a big Paul Mann was able to snag them up in less than a few minutes. None of them had time to get life jackets epirb raft none of it. If those guys were off on their own could have been a very sad story.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Bruce,

Not too sure what you want to hear.

I sank my 34' Hatt in the slip during a storm in 2012 because I left the exhaust ports uncovered when working on engine rebuilds.

BoatUS insurance paid full agreed value without question. I bought a 52'. Everything inside was ruined (I live aboard).

Few lessons learned for others:

-I had a good crash pump onboard and it was not able to save the boat, and wet carpet gave me good warning.
    -During the event, you will *not* find the leak most likely. It was dark, and diving face first into murky water during a fast sinking it impractical because there is little evidence of swirls to show entry.
    -As it fills, walking around in waist deep water hurts: all of the hatches float and you fall in those holes a lot, banging your elbows and knees. I was pretty bruised for weeks.
    -My pump was 120V AC so had to leave the power on to slow the sinking (which took 45 minutes) and to have lights so in salt water you are are constantly being shocked.
    -I only managed to save a few armloads of paperwork, some shoes, work computer, random books.
    -Authorities *only* care about environmentals.
    -Nothing is salvageable. Nothing. Second picture is in galley looking forward to V-berth. Blue bin floated on top of stove, drawer floated on top of sink, everything else is wet mess waist high.

Can elaborate on any of the above, but I know many here will say "but you should have done...blah, blah" or "I would have done this or that..." I call B.S.

DAN
    Attached Images

That's a damn shame, a sukne Hatteras.

Armchair advice is easy, and worth slightly less than what you pay for it. Help, in the moment, if someone happens to be there, would be more valuable, I would think.

Quote Originally Posted by whoover View Post
    I tell everyone that the worst thing my ex wife ever did to me was leaving ME the boat!

Walt Hoover
    That IS funny.

When I was getting med school applications ready, many years ago, I asked a friend to write me a recommendation letter He said, "sure I'll do it, but when you become a doctor, think about all the people who wrote you rec letters and DON'T BLAME THEM"

LOL

BTW, to answer the question "what happens to a sunken Hatteras?", the answer is someone will show up who knows and values the brand, and *really, really* wants it.

They will go through it completely and replace electrical, sole, bulkheads, everything. And paint it blue.

Picture is two years later at a nearby marina. So a decent outcome!
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by drburke View Post
    BTW, to answer the question "what happens to a sunken Hatteras?", the answer is someone will show up who knows and values the brand, and *really, really* wants it.They will go through it completely and replace electrical, sole, bulkheads, everything. And paint it blue.Picture is two years later at a nearby marina. So a decent outcome!
    That is a happy ending.
    Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA