Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Leaking window

48lrc Guest

Leaking window

I was amazed when I tried a search on this subject that I did not come up with any posts, but here is my problem.
    Just purchased my 48 LRC and have discovered a nasty leak coming from the pilothouse rear window. Only leaks when the rain is blown into it and under high volume, but never the less will be a problem. Window appears to be two piece that includes a slider and screen on one side. I have no experience with this type of window and am wondering how difficult it is to pull it and rebed it? If it is a job best left to the pro's, perhaps someone knows of an experienced yard up here on Lake Michigan or anywhere on the west side of the loop as I will be taking the boat down the river system to the Gulf later in the fall before heading to the Bahamas for the winter.

Appreciate any help here.

Thanks

dshuman Guest

pilothouse leaks

First, make SURE that it's really the window that's leaking. There are a number of threads here (i.e. "salon headliner postings" about leaks in the pilothouse that turned out to be water on the flybridge getting channeled into the flybridge compartments and leaking through the various holes into the lower salon.
    My 53MY has that and when blowing rain or wave spray gets water into the flybridge I get "front windshield leaks" even though the windshields are OK. The water is following interior structures and just finds an exit at my interior windshield frames. It's just wherever the water runs in the salon ceiling before it appears as a "leak".

Jimmy Watts Guest

Leaking Windows

Another avenue that needs to be looked at is the location of the leak in relationship to the weep hole on your leaking window. Sometimes in a hard wind, water in the weep hole vacinity will be blown against the splash wall, up and over into the boat. If you find water traces on the inside top of the splash wall, this might end up being your problem.
    Another way to try and find your leak is to tape off the weep hole and fill the trough with water. If you now get leaking, then the bottom track of the window will have a hole in it.
    If you want to call me at 252-634-2214 or email me at jwatts14@cox.net with other symptons, I will try and help you as much as possible. I have been working with Steve at SAM's and with Hatteras for many years now building replacement aluminum window frames.
    Jimmy Watts