Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Mystery Box in Engine Room

Lighting makes sense since I do have a lot of 12V lighting. But what are the hi/low switches for on the side of each transformer and why would there be an on/off button on the side as well? Tracing the wires is not in the cards right now.

Here is a picture (I hope) inside the box showing the AC input from the bottom and the two DC outputs from the top. The switches (not pictured) are on the left side of the box. Hope this helps figure out what it is. All ideas welcomed.97CD0284-D342-4970-AFB6-E44956587553.jpg97CD0284-D342-4970-AFB6-E44956587553.jpg

Obviously, there is only one box. Sorry for the double picture post.

they're voltage transformers. They are probably tapping 12 and 24 volts off of them.

Disconnect the power to each one in turn and make a list of what doesn't turn on anymore.
    Mark
    1981 56' MY Hull #320
    "Lady Ann"

Some Hatts have isolation transformers with a second secondary winding which automatically (via relay) gives a 10% voltage boost if your marina had too much drop.

Might be a manual version of that. The clue would be a tap at 90% and another tap at 100%.

DAN

I wonder if it's robust enough for that. They don't look all that large.

Not likely. The output is 12V not 120V. Some have suggested that this is somehow related to the low voltage lighting on the boat. If so, I am not sure what the hi/lo switches are for.

12 and 24 volt?

Also many oceans had incandescent lights that were run from 24 volt AC.

You cant use that power with most led lamps.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Its hard to see in this picture but it looks like the switches route different secondary taps on the transformers. Can you measure the voltage on the taps or the switch outputs? Also, a transformer can only step up/down voltage or provide isolation. The conversion from AC to DC requires a rectifier bridge or discrete diodes and filter capacitors or an AC/DC converter board.

George
    Florida
    2002 Cabo 47
    MAN mechanical 800/8's

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality"