Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

putting in generator 36 hatteras

Looking for feedback on a 36 hatteras convertable. It appears that there is a space on the starboard side of the boat. The unit I looked at weighs 300lbs. Does anyone know if this is posses any problems.

Re: putting in generator 36 hatteras

They usually are in the engine space ag the rear between the engines in the series 1
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Is your boat a series 1 or 2. They are completly different boats.
    Maynard
    UNITY '86 36C

sorry for the ingnorance. What is the difference? I'm really not sure what series

Quote Originally Posted by apass View Post
    sorry for the ingnorance. What is the difference? I'm really not sure what series
    Well what year is it?
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

Series I 36Cs were made from 1969 to 1977, I think. Series II boats were built after that. The following apply to a Series I, which is what I have. Series II boats have a bit more room, I suspect.

You are better off with the generator in the midline of the boat, down as low as possible. There should be room between the stringers at the back of the engine compartment. Depending on which engines you have, and the exhaust system arrangement, the generator set would be mounted either longitudinally or sidewise. Most generator sets are built so that all the service points are on one side, to make it easier to keep up the maintenance. If there is room, mounting the set crossways, right ahead of the aft engine room bulkhead, will give you a good location. The electrical hookups can be made anywhere- the important things are access to a seawater through-hull for cooling, the ability to change the seawater impeller, and the ability to exhaust the cooling water in a way that is efficient, quiet, and safe for the set in terms of not drowning the engine. Northern Lights used to sell a video called "Don't Drown Me", which was about installing their sets, but it was very useful for all these installs. It may still be available on their site as a download or a DVD. I'm sure the video is an antique by now.

If the exhaust system for the main engines takes up too much room (mine did) the genset may have to be mounted lengthways. This makes it harder to service, at least in the case of my NL set, because they are really designed to be mounted next to a wall, with all the service points on the side that is not next to the wall. Have to approach the set from the front end has made the seawater pump in particular very hard to service, but the space available dictated the lengthways location.

Mounting the generator set outboard would be, in my opinion, far less of a good choice. It is harder to service, the support for the weight of the set is not as good, it is higher up, AND it is off-center axis, which means an increase in rolling moment, I think it's called. If at all possible, the set should be on the centerline of the hull and down as low as possible. 300 lbs is a lot of weight in a small boat and mounting it off-axis may also make the vessel list to the side of the genset.

Thank you very much. That was helpful and btw, its a 70 hull

al

What main power do you have? Gas, big V-8 diesels or inline diesel. Are you galley up or down? All important questions when deciding where to place the genny.

Our 1977 36C was built with an Onan generator and 2 V-8 555VT Cummins diesels. Can't think of a bigger, heavier set up for mains and Gen on that boat. The generator was located (sideways) against the forward engine room bulkhead in front of the port engine (A/C stuff in front of Statboard engine). full size refigerator is on the starboard side so with that and the A/C compressors the weight was evenly distributed. It was tight, and there was a service hatch in the salon floor over the genset. If that big heavy stuff all fit you should be able to do the same with most any engine/gen combinations. What is forward of your port/starboard engines? The boat's original layout seemed to me to be a little heavy in the stern with all the fuel back below th cockpit, so I would put the gen forward of the engines if your layout permits. Ours was one of the last Series 1 36Cs built, and so I suspect that it represents some "refinements" in ER layout.

Repower to 330B 6 cylinder Cummins and new Nothern Lights gen kept all in same locations and provided more access/room.

Mine is a 1970 and it's set up to have the gen against the back ER wall. The A/C compressors are in front of the engines, one on each side. As far as weight and balance goes, my 3208s add enough weight up front thanks. The waterline in the bow had to be raised about six inches after the repower, but the stern stayed the same. My estimation is that it is better to have the weight centered further aft to take advantage of the greater lifting surface there and to help plant the stern because these boats can be squirrely in a following sea if it lifts too much, or if it has a lot of power. That being said, my boat does tend to list to starboard a little bit. So now you have another opinion to reflect on. But mostly your choice is probably going to be dictated by what is already there, i.e. A/C compressors.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375