Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Cleaning the A/C water cooling system / How to

Maybe somebody can post some pics of the setup and what pump to use. I plan on doing my 8v71T's this spring as well as the Ac. I plan on buying a 3.5gpm freshwater pump to winterize my freshwater system next weekend. I don't think the pump would hold up running for an hour or so while I do the flush on motors etc
    ENUFF. 1983 53MY.Hull #617 Barnegat Light Nj.

i use a small bilge pump on a/c's and engines. has lasted 7 years so far, just flush with fresh water when done
    Mis b' havin
    1972 58 yachtfish
    58yf352
    pass christian, ms.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    i use a small bilge pump on a/c's and engines. has lasted 7 years so far, just flush with fresh water when done
    Me too. Works great. Keep it in a 5 gallon bucket that I use for this. I have long leads on it with alligator clips that I attach to a battery for use.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    Me too. Works great. Keep it in a 5 gallon bucket that I use for this. I have long leads on it with alligator clips that I attach to a battery for use.
    damn sky, did you copy my stuff. 12 ft leads, all different hose fittings, bunch of hose and clamps stuffed in a buck in my storage shed
    Mis b' havin
    1972 58 yachtfish
    58yf352
    pass christian, ms.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    damn sky, did you copy my stuff. 12 ft leads, all different hose fittings, bunch of hose and clamps stuffed in a buck in my storage shed
    Bill,
    I think you copied me
    Sky Cheney

Here is how I have cleaned the 7 aircon coils. Assumes all new rubber hoses and system working properly. My coils not cleaned in 20 years.

-Measure air output temp at vent.

- Disconnect water in and water out hoses from coils
    - Use 16mm (cant remember in imperial) hose and daisy chain four aircons in a row.
    - any 1/2" pump will do.. may need reducer or adaptor to coils
    - 5 gallon bucket with 1.5 gallons of very mild phosphoric acid/water mix
    - Circulate for 1 hour, then reverse. Solution goes dark.
    - Flush with fresh water
    - Use Airhose on individual coils which blows out bits of shell and old bits of metal.
    - Reconnect water in and water out to individual coils.

Then clean the next three coils. (Theoretically you could daisychain all seven aircons coils.)

- Measure output air vent again.. in a perfect world it should be 13C or 55F.
    +++
    1984 61MY #353 with 9' cockpit extension.
    Sydney, Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    John, from 45-90 mins. When the discharge starts looking blueish again with no foam is what I look for. Then crank the motors to clear out the solution, or if you're me...Attachment 35638... hook up a garden hose and flush for 10 minutes. In fact, I don't have to descale anywhere near as often now because I always freshwater flush the motors after running. But when I do descale, the hookup is a cinch.
    Hi - when you acid flush the engines from this point I assume your flushing the raw water side in its entirety? Do you have to remove the impeller and where do you have the solution exit? Prior to the turbo shower heads?I’m setting up my 871’s now and pondering where and what to cap and plug etc.
    Matt
    1976 58' YF, Hull #410
    "Time Out West"

Quote Originally Posted by dar636 View Post
    Hi - when you acid flush the engines from this point I assume your flushing the raw water side in its entirety? Do you have to remove the impeller and where do you have the solution exit? Prior to the turbo shower heads?I’m setting up my 871’s now and pondering where and what to cap and plug etc.
    If you go in at the raw water intake to the pump, yes you do. I like to go in above the pump output and into gear cooler line. Take it out at the raw water exit to the shower head. Garden hose fittings make it easier and neater.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Got it, thanks!
    Matt
    1976 58' YF, Hull #410
    "Time Out West"

I flush mine in reverse of the actual water flow. I figure if there is any crud that is just caught on the fins of the HE, maybe it will push it back out. Enter at the line that feeds the showerhead, and exit at my stabilizer water feed which is on the elbow right after the water pump. That way I don't have to remove the impeller. Other engine, no stab line so I go through the water pump.
    Sky Cheney