Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Cleaning the A/C water cooling system / How to

We're flushing the cooling system for the air conditioners on the 1975 Hatteras Yacht Fisherman. I'm sure it can be done other ways but this is how we did ours.

- Turn off all A/C
    - Disconnect all air-conditioning discharge lines from the exit manifold.
    - reconfigure return lines to a bucket or container.
    - disconnect pick up line between the seacock and the onboard air-conditioning water pump at the pump.
    - drop an external water pump into the container.
    - configure a line from the container pump to the intake side of the on board A/C water pump.
    - Mix 3 parts water to 1 part Barnacle Buster in container.
    - Turn on one air-conditioner and the container pump at the same time.
    - once the onboard A/C pump is primed, disconnect the external pump and let it flow for about 45 minutes to an hour.
    - flush with fresh water
    - disconnect all hoses and return to normal
    - run all air-conditioners.

To see this video and more like it, go to our YouTube link in my signature.

FlushingAC.jpg

Thanks

How to flush the A/C system on a boat. 1975 Hatteras Yacht Fisherman, MASTERPLAN. Tutorial
    MASTERPLAN MIAMI
    1975 58 Ft. Yacht Fish
    8V71TI
    HULL # 396
    www.YouTube.com/MASTERPLANMIAMI

Adventure Awaits

Re: Cleaning the A/C water cooling system / How to

Didn't watch the video, but based on the instruction you posted, I would say No need to run the air conditioners while circulating the descaling mix. It will heat the mix up and may even send the units into high pressure shutdown. Just circulate the mix and reconnect all of the hoses and then fire up the A/C units.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I can’t imagine the heat and fumes coming out of the mixture of you turn a unit on. No need to
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Karl posted this procedure in the Frequently Asked Service Questions about 15 years ago. I’ve been using the technique ever since. I have a jump box that I use to power a 12v bilge pump in a bucket.

https://www.samsmarine.com/forums/sh...eat-Exchangers
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    Karl posted this procedure in the Frequently Asked Service Questions about 15 years ago. I’ve been using the technique ever since. I have a jump box that I use to power a 12v bilge pump in a bucket.

https://www.samsmarine.com/forums/sh...eat-Exchangers
    Yeah but not running one of the condensers!

I ve been using a 120v rule 1800. It s a great pump for descaling and connects in any outlet I always have one on board for emergency or for the tender easier than having to look for a battery to hook up to
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Yeah but not running one of the condensers!
    Oh, no, never. I would never do that.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

Guess you could direct wire the circulation pump and force it on if you want the extra flow which would be the only reason to run the AC.....But yeah, that heats things up quite a bit. "Ventilation required".
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    Guess you could direct wire the circulation pump and force it on if you want the extra flow which would be the only reason to run the AC.....But yeah, that heats things up quite a bit. "Ventilation required".
    You could run the pump without running the A/C; just jump the wires in the PWX box. But, as stated, using a bilge pump and a 5 gallon bucket is much easier.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

We chose to run it through the onboard pump so we would be cleaning out more of the system. But like I said, I'm sure there’s more than one way. Oh, we ran our smallest unit. Didn't heat up too much but did get pretty warm. Note taken. Next time I'll try without running the A/C pump. All units dropped about 5 degrees in temp.
    MASTERPLAN MIAMI
    1975 58 Ft. Yacht Fish
    8V71TI
    HULL # 396
    www.YouTube.com/MASTERPLANMIAMI

Adventure Awaits

Due to my issues with the whole AC pump trigger configuration I posted about on another thread going forward when I replace this all I will have a simple bypass switch wired in to run pump 24/7 if needed. Would come in handy for flushing without running compressors.