Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Monitor Alarms

Monitor Alarms

What sort of remote monitor alarms do y'all have onboard. I installed a wake the dead alarm for the 12 point monitor on the bridge. Made it loud enough to hear over the Detroits at full tilt (I'm slightly hearing impaired to deaf according to who you ask.). But apparently the wake the dead alarm wasn't fully tested and couldn't get my attention just below the flybridge in the salon watching TV (closed captioned). Now, I've added the wake the dead II in the cabin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsRLvpIux_k

I've seen a couple of old transformers stuck under stuff connected to nothing other than power; maybe that was for alarms. The piezoelectric alarm in the video was wired straight from the 12 point monitor display with about a 25' wire run. I'd hate to think what it's sound like with a transformer.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Re: Monitor Alarms

Haven’t added anything to mine it’s quite load even underway. I love the idea. Great addition.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Well I've never had an issue before last week, Rusty. Must've been a ghost alarm. Went off in the evening. Hadn't been out or even fired them up. While it's the only unexplained alarm on Aslan, my neighbor's ('83 70' Hatteras) used to go off almost daily. It didn't bother me, but the neighbors who could hear were bothered. I didn't worry too much about it as the neighbors were all on sailboats. But in a weak moment, I went onboard to check it out; it was a high water alarm. There was neither any water in the bilges nor any ability to silence it. There can be advantages in being hard of hearing beyond just marriage(s).
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

I have the 32volt Piezo alarm installed in the bridge and under the steps going in to the staterooms. This is so I can possibly hear it while asleep if taking on water. One is a constant alarm and the other oscillates. I think the monitoring system uses technology such that the circuit is broken to cause the alarm to sound. I would think a bad ground connection may be your issue. I did have one of my engine room float sensors not test out and found the wire had rubbed together thus bypassing the float. In your case its probably the opposite. Something is opening the circuit.

Quote Originally Posted by Briankinley2004 View Post
    I have the 32volt Piezo alarm installed in the bridge and under the steps going in to the staterooms. This is so I can possibly hear it while asleep if taking on water. One is a constant alarm and the other oscillates. I think the monitoring system uses technology such that the circuit is broken to cause the alarm to sound. I would think a bad ground connection may be your issue. I did have one of my engine room float sensors not test out and found the wire had rubbed together thus bypassing the float. In your case its probably the opposite. Something is opening the circuit.
    No doubt. However, none of the lights illuminated. It having misbehaved just once, I’m gonna sweep that one under the rug. After all, Aslan’s next owner has to have something to do.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

The high water sensors are pretty sensitive. I have triggered mine just washing down the bilge. You are right, you can't turn them off. I have thought about extending it downstairs and to the fly bridge.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL