Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Salon Sound Reduction

I removed all of the old carpet and padding in the salon on our 46c. PO had carpeted over everything except one centerline hatch. My question is, has anyone used any kind of sound deadening carpet underlayment that they thought was better that regular carpet padding? I'm primarily concerned about an increase in generator noise after we make all of the hatches functional. I have used Soundown on the soundshield on my generator but have never used their underlayment.

Re: Salon Sound Reduction

The best in the business... IMO...

https://soundown.com/architecture/carpet-underlayment/

You can also use their thermal/sound deadening on the ceiling of the engine room...

https://soundown.com/application-sys...space-systems/
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL

In the salon of a 53MY I used the the Soundown material instead of padding when I recarpetted last spring with disappointing results. Some improvement but added about 500 Lbs and expense. I used the intermediate thickness.

Theres more than one way you have to attack the noise.

Transmissive sound will come from vibration between hard surfaces. Isolation is needed there.

Reflecting noises need to be absorbed with high density foams and treatments that convert sound to heat.

And then most annoying noises can be removed by throwing the mother in law overboard.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Scott, I'm mainly concerned with the noise from the Onan. And it is mainly airborne and not passing through the structures. The 8-71s are probably passing through everything... That's why I stay on the flybridge.

Mother In Law... check, she's locked in the forward stateroom.

I have 2 carpet guys coming down to look at the project. I just have to make up my mind on the Soundown. I keep getting varying opinions and it's going to be about $10 a sq' by the time I get it shipped.

Do you guys think it would help with the various boat smells or anything else if I painted the plywood while the carpet is out?

Scott, I'm mainly concerned with the noise from the Onan.&nbsp; And it is mainly airborne and not passing through the structures.&nbsp; The 8-71s are probably passing through everything...&nbsp; That's why I stay on the flybridge.<br><br>Mother In Law...&nbsp; &nbsp;check, she's locked in the forward stateroom.<br><br>I have 2 carpet guys coming down to look at the project.&nbsp; I just have to make up my mind on the Soundown.&nbsp; I keep getting varying opinions and it's going to be about $10 a sq' by the time I get it shipped.&nbsp;&nbsp;<br><br>Do you guys think it would help with the various boat smells or anything else if I painted the plywood while the carpet is out?

I painted my plywood floor with Kilz (the original stuff) before I replaced my carpet last time. I think it helps.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I have used the Soundown carpet underlayment in my salon for many years. My original engine room sound insulation was OK for that time with my original low frequency Detroit 8-71 naturals. When I re-engined with 6-92TAs, however, the new high frequency turbo whine made my infrequent salon steering even less frequent. Way back then (25+ years) there may have been only one weight of underlayment because I don't remember making a choice. The carpet underlayment helped reduce the engine room noise but not as much as I had hoped. I think the reason was that the engine rooms extend all the way out to the exterior of the hull including beneath the walls of the salon. The underlayment could only extend to the inside of the salon wall leaving the space between the interior and exterior (maybe 6 inches or so) of the wall open to transmit sound via the deck into the salon. Perhaps adding a strip of regular Soundown in each engine room overhead somewhat overlapping the area below the cabin walls would help to completely sound-seal the salon.

My underlayment has probably outlasted several carpeting replacements so perhaps I should inspect it carefully to see if the foam has collapsed. If the lead is OK maybe just the foam could be replaced. The Admiral makes sure I buy only good carpet. It all still feels fine so I'm happy. But I still steer mostly from the flybridge.

From now on I am painting every bit of original plywood as it becomes exposed. Both sides if it is already out.
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932

Not what you want to hear, but the most effective thing you can do is replace the generator with a modern, mechanically quiet one.
    Greg Harrington
    43 DCFB 1977 w/Cummins 903 M1 (340HP)
    Hull #454

Cool Re: Salon Sound Reduction

Greg, I dont approve of replacing old and reliable yet loud and obnoxious for a newer model. And obviously my wife doesn't either.