Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Re: Any mid 80's 52C owners on the site?

Also, I know you didn't ask, but IMO here are a few very beneficial add-ons / mods to the 52 (and other detroit boats).

Racor CCV System. I installed 4 x CCV4500. 1 per air filter. This helps the engine breathe cleaner by removing oil vapor and condensation from the ccv system. Our turbos went from greasy to dry and clean now. I'm sure the intercooler is thanking us as well.

Re-route airbox drain lines to an external cannister/catch can. Detroits accumulate condensation, oil, fuel, grimey crap in their air boxes. To meet emmissions standards they routed these drains back to the oil pan, which is terrible. Drain them to a container you can empty on a regular basis and keep your engines running cleaner.

AirSeps or Racor Air filters - If the boat has the old foam filters, a great upgrade is to Racor filters, but airseps are great too if the boat already has them (mine does).

Bypass Oil Filter - Detroits really like to soot up the oil. Is the primary reason the oil in a detroit is so BLACK so quickly. The bad part about this is soot is that it is very small in particle size and is basically like sandpaper. Soot is VERY abrasive. Do you want sandpaper running through your engine? We recently isntalled Frantz Triple Stacker bypass oil filters. The difference in the feel of the oil after 20ish hours was pretty incredible. Usually after the first trip you could begin to feel the soot if you rubbed your oily fingers together. Now, after 20 hours the oil is still smooth as silk. Soot buildup is the primary reason you need to change the oil so often on Detroits. Hopefully the bypass filters will allow us to safely extend oil change periods AND maintain a much healthier low soot oil.

Battery placement - I believe stock arrangement is one bank of 4 8v giant batterys port side of the port engine, and a second bank down the middle of the engine room walkway. Many have been moved by now. My port bank was moved aft of generator prior to me taking the boat. I'm sure there's a better place but it is what it is. Lotta lead to be housed somewhere.

That's all I got for now, i'm sure I'll think of some other stuff
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

Here’s a freebie for Series 92 manuals. https://avtec.edu/sites/default/files/DDC%2092.pdf
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Two water tanks as stated, port access should be a hatch between your refrigerator and oven, starboard access is master stateroom (if queen equipped) behind return AC grill. You will need to remove bottom drawer of small cabinet to access fittings/gauge. Lifting bed mattress, removing drawer provides additional access. Holding tank is just before entering forward stateroom in companion way usually covered by carpet but occasionally hatch access has been provided. Have surveyor double check your Detroit’s as 650 hp was the most common engine for that vintage. Good Luck and Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Blowncar View Post
    Okay just a few general ones then. I have an accepted offer on a 1985 52c 2 stateroom model with 8v92's @ 735hp. I have a surveyor scheduled but was curious about a few things.

Under the kitchen floor there is access to a tank, is it the water tank? If so where is the holding/blackwater tank?

Under the stairs there is a series of valves which make it appear there are a left and right water tanks, do they come with 2 or 1?

I've read Pascoe's review, is there any other areas of concern you've run across?

We will troll 90% of the time so I'm i'm wondering what the fuel consumption at 6.5-7.5 knots would be. I am guessing a little better than 1/1.

thanks
    Is this the one in Vero Beach? I don’t think the higher HP engines were offered until 1988 in the HIgh Performance edition. I think they were asking 99k OBO with 400 hour engines nice boat for that price.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Smile Re: Any mid 80's 52C owners on the site?

Thanks everyone

Yes galley down model

Has Racor ccv system/ air seps

Hp is 735

In Oxnard Ca not back east, easy to Find on YW

I only wish it was 99k
    Last edited by Blowncar; 10-29-2019 at 12:46 AM.

FYI on HP. I have a 1984 52c and she has the 735HP version with dry turbo's.

Quote Originally Posted by finatic View Post
    FYI on HP. I have a 1984 52c and she has the 735HP version with dry turbo's.
    What’s it say in your manual? I’m pretty sure they were around 650 hp until they came out with the slant window boats.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976

Anybody know what injectors the high hp models used?

I've been told I'm at 600hp with 7125 injectors. I've also been told by other sources that the 7125 is a higher hp injector than 600 and that I'm closer to 700hp.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    What’s it say in your manual? I’m pretty sure they were around 650 hp until they came out with the slant window boats.
    I have slant windows.

Quote Originally Posted by finatic View Post
    I have slant windows.
    Pretty sure the slant windows didn’t start until 87 or 88.

Endless Summer
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976