Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Long distance cruising in a Motor Yacht

Almost brings to mind a trip from Milwaukee to Seattle where my youngest is now. And looking into doing the great loop. Unlike you big boys it's only a 31C I see open water being a big factor.

Open water is not for everyone. Especially in a motoryacht. I think the ride of convertibles is far smoother but the space that's lost makes it for a different purpose.

I've been out in 8 to 12 footers in my 41c. It was wet but at 16 kts not uncomfortably rough. At 8 it would have been far worse.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Dazed338 View Post
    Almost brings to mind a trip from Milwaukee to Seattle where my youngest is now. And looking into doing the great loop. Unlike you big boys it's only a 31C I see open water being a big factor.
    I delivered a 31' Cabo from Port Aransas, TX to Boca Raton, FL back in May. The original plan was to run point to point at 24 knots via the GOM, but Ma Nature had other plans that had me run the ICW WAY more than I had intended. Not only was I dealing with storms, but the Mississippi was flooded to the point of closing locks on the ICW.

Ended up running outside from Port Fourchon around the tip of LA to Perdido Pass... with my tabs stuck in the full up position and heading dead into the wind and four footers. Needless to say, it was very uncomfortable, but far from dangerous. No choice but to run on plane in order to make Perdido by dark. Same deal with running from Carrabelle to Clearwater. Running at hull speed was miserable, and full plane was miserable with added pain. Ran it in no man's land (barely on plane) to save my back as time wasn't really a factor on that leg. It can be done in a 31, but the fun factor sort of leaves the building.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Hi Scarlet:

While you might make it, clearly this boat is not designed or intended for open voyaging.
    I have made 14 trips from Newport to Bermuda and two continuing to the US Virgin Island and then down to
    Grenada in three different boats; a 52 foot sailboat, a 70 foot sailboat, and a 58 foot sailboat.

All were sound boats with good experienced crews. There is no way I would do what you plan unless you are going
    to go point to point within 20 miles of shore with a robust fuel reserve.
    I have seen 20 foot plus seas offshore and at least 50 knots of wind across the deck on every major crossing.
    Even with favorable forecasts, isolated squalls and storm cells can pop up.

Man, I would be scared to death to try what you contemplate.

This is coming from a guy who was washed overboard 300 miles from Bermuda and dragged for several minutes
    by my harness before they could get me back on board.

If it appears that I am trying to scare you, you are correct.

Spin

So, Spin, your advice is not to take a Hatteras motor yacht more than 20 miles offshore?

Go to your room... ya silly blowboater! You've honestly never taken your 43 beyond that?
    Last edited by Freeebird; 11-05-2019 at 04:33 PM.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

X2. Besides that, advice from a guy that falls overboard is suspect.

Since I've had Aslan 70+ miles offshore, is my warrant still in force? We hit 14 footers one time, and nobody fell overboard.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    X2. Besides that, advice from a guy that falls overboard is suspect.
    That made me laugh out loud! Not that falling overboard and being dragged by a sailboat is funny or anything. Damn, I started again!

Maybe I’ll try a self-imposed time-out.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

A 70' Hatteras M/Y will make the trip from Corpus Christi to San Diego. The Key is preparation and crew. Like a few have said before, pick your days, pick your team, have plenty of fuel, cash and parts. It would be a fun trip with lots of stories. Financially it may be better to ship her over, and you can do that out of Houston. I checked on it for something I was working on. Great idea to ask, and do some homework, but it can be done. I would do it. I hope to do it in 10 years from now, so document everything please!

Also Remember, the Santa Maria was Columbus' largest boat at 54' overall and an 18' beam! he didn't have charts, GPS, radios, or refrigeration...
    riverrandy
    1975 64' MY Hull# 305
    Merritt Island, FL
    Cape Crossing Marina

I think the Santa Maria is on the bottom of the sea near Haiti. I dont remember the fate of the other two but its about a 66% chance you can make it OK.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

The Neener and the Pinto were in Knoxville a few weeks ago.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93