Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Long distance cruising in a Motor Yacht

I did it in my 70 Ft stephens MY, Ft Lauderdale to Vancouver BC thro the Panama, also did Vancouver to Mexico and return plus Alaska etc..
    Big thing is being able to fix most things underway and source parts if needed, good crew is a must and dry boat until port. Be sure the crew has deep water experience or you will be the nursemaid. It's the trip of a lifetime. I miss it but past it now.

I just did Seattle to San Diego on a 65 Pacific Mariner and it was exciting to say the least on some days even going down hill. I have lots of long distance experience on sail boats but not much on powerboats. We sailed our sail boat from Mexico to Thailand over a number of years. Thanks all of you for your comments. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

I know my 63 CPMY came through the canal. The log books show it was bought in Fort Lauderdale and took a month trip to make it up to Orange County, California. Lots of fuel stops along the way.
    Looking for a 80 plus foot yacht
    Hatteras of Cheoy Lee

My last boat (61 cmy) went thru the PC at least 4 times and traveled from southern California to Alaska to as far south as Ecuador, Galapagos, Central and South America all throughout the Caribbean and up and down the East Coast. She also made numerous trips to Columbia during the 80's during which her dinette was converted into "extra sleeping quarters" by her then Columbian owner. So, yes the MY's are capable..............Pat

There's an old saying in the aviation business that "Absence of accidents is no evidence of safety".

I will readily agree that a 61' Hatteras is a reasonably well built vessel, and if properly maintained and equipped and prudently operated can do these voyages with a good chance of success.

It's the "prudently operated" part that makes the difference. All the cruising described in this thread is close enough to land that trips can be made within weather windows. Are you going to get snotty weather? Yes. Are you going to run into force 9+ weather? PROBABLY not if you don't want to.

Would I consider a Hatteras 61 a "Blue Water Boat" that one could take thousands of miles from home in ANY weather and, for instance, take a 30 foot breaker on the windows and doors? (a la Nordhaven) Nope. Has it been done? Yup. Would I? Nope.

So it's all about personal risk tolerance and skill and experience level. Which begs the question:If you have to ask .....
    Last edited by oscarvan; 10-28-2019 at 11:35 AM.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

A good chance of success, yeah,,,, that is what Columbus said!
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

Bring the Bird along. His Spanish is limited, as he says, and maybe his English, too, but you'll have an interesting time. Just be prepared to make the trip on one engine.

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    Bring the Bird along. His Spanish is limited, as he says, and maybe his English, too, but you'll have an interesting time. He'll also be prepared to make the trip on one engine should the need arise.
    El fixo la posto for da gringo.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

FWIW, we popped out of the intercostal on our great loop trip, while our YF certainly held her own in 6 to 8 footers, but it was somewhat miserable
    Gene
    Former Owner 1974 Hatteras Yachtfish
    Glittering Image

Hull # 50
    Total Production 1972-1975 Sixty Four

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    Bring the Bird along. His Spanish is limited, as he says, and maybe his English, too, but you'll have an interesting time. Just be prepared to make the trip on one engine.
    LOLI couldn't resist on that one