Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Long distance cruising in a Motor Yacht

Has any one done a long distance open ocean cruise in a Motor Yacht. By long distance I mean like coast to coast or equivalent. Do you think these boats are capable of doing so comfortably if you watch the weather?
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Re: Long distance cruising in a Motor Yacht

John you need to move up here to fresh water. Although you will need your heaters in good working order.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

They're not made for long crossings. Just because you can doenst mean you should.

Look at the difference between the size, shape and weight distribution of an LRC or other passage makers. It's quite apparent.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Define, "coast to coast". Range is going to be the biggest issue with the old Hatt's. The boat itself wouldn't bother me a bit, but weather obviously comes into play.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

I don’t know what you mean by coat to coast. Depending on tank size, you can run anywhere between 500nm and 1000nm at hull speed it slightly below. Stabiliers would be a must.

Problem with weather is that it can change. Often hard to get more than a 3 day reliable window
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Actually not a great idea, in my estimation, although I am not a veteran of such voyages. If one owned a MY and just HAD to have that experience, better to sign on as crew on a well-found vessel designed for such adventures, don't you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    I don’t know what you mean by coat to coast. Depending on tank size, you can run anywhere between 500nm and 1000nm at hull speed it slightly below. Stabiliers would be a must.

Problem with weather is that it can change. Often hard to get more than a 3 day reliable window
    I think three days at hull speed in a 53MY would be pretty miserable... even with stabilizers. That assumes we’re talking offshore.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

It would be a 70 MY with stabilizers from Galveston Tx to San Diego. I think fuel stops can be found to handle the range problem. I am pretty sure that many of the MY’s out on the west coast came here on their own bottoms. Might be a better option to ship, but would probably have to go to Ft Lauderdale to do that. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlett View Post
    It would be a 70 MY with stabilizers from Galveston Tx to San Diego. I think fuel stops can be found to handle the range problem. I am pretty sure that many of the MY’s out on the west coast came here on their own bottoms. Might be a better option to ship, but would probably have to go to Ft Lauderdale to do that. John
    I would make that trip in a heartbeat. Let me know if you need a co-captain, but my Mezcan is pretty limited.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Oh yeah, you should have seen the logbook on Guzman’s 67. It made that trip and then some. I was actually looking at bringing a 70CY back to Florida from CA when I was in the market several years ago. Fuel stops wouldn’t be an issue.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93