Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

In search of M3558 Snap-on Fuel injector timing tool

Just like the title says, I've got to run the rack this fall on our 8v92's and am looking for a snapon m3558 injector timing/height tool. It's a snap-on tool and is discontinued. I have searched ebay and the web and have been unable to find one.

Would love to find somebody with one sitting on the shelf collecting dust who would like to turn it into cash!

Here are a couple of pics for reference of what it looks like.

I do have a set of the timing pins but after talking with a few mechs and watching someone use one of these it looks like it's definitely a better mouse trap.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

Re: In search of M3558 Snap-on Fuel injector timing tool

I have one but not giving it up. The pins work just fine. But to get it perfect you need the gauge
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

There is a company in Finksburg, MD, called A-1 Pressure Washers, who have a lot of Snap-On tools. They sell a lot of used tools and boxes, etc. They might have it. I'd call them.

You might also try T&S Marine Engines in Crisfield, MD. Ask for Tim or Steve. They used to do a lot of DD service and probably don't anymore. Also worth asking.

Curious why this tool is better than the pins? Isn’t anything adjustable adding a margin for error?
    PHOENIX1983 60C Enclosed Bridge Hull #365Newport Beach CA

You can roll the crank back and forth with a breaker bar and see the exact height.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by oceanjake View Post
    Curious why this tool is better than the pins? Isn’t anything adjustable adding a margin for error?
    Not sure how much better it is, but when you tighten the lock nut you will inevitably slightly adjust the height. With a dial indicator it's instantly apparent that you moved it, no so much with the pins.

In the end, the pins work fine, just seems like the dial indicator makes the job quicker and more accurate. I do 99% of our service work, so I save a ton, but I don't mind buying the best tools for the job. If I can throw $300 at a tool to make life easier and the end product have more reliable results then I'm game.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL