Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Re: Chartering Rules

More info

https://homeport.uscg.mil/Lists/Cont...m.aspx?ID=1724

https://www.luxyachts.com/resources/...r-Brochure.pdf

There is also the fine print on the reverse side of documentation certificates stating that the documentation is INVALID when operated for purpose other than solely for recreation by a non US citizen. In plain English...if you charter your US flagged boat, the captain MUST BE US CITIZEN. Not just a US resident.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    More info

https://homeport.uscg.mil/Lists/Cont...m.aspx?ID=1724

https://www.luxyachts.com/resources/...r-Brochure.pdf

There is also the fine print on the reverse side of documentation certificates stating that the documentation is INVALID when operated for purpose other than solely for recreation by a non US citizen. In plain English...if you charter your US flagged boat, the captain MUST BE US CITIZEN. Not just a US resident.
    No offense, but what does that have to do with anything unless the plan is to save a few bucks by hiring an illegal immigrant to run a bareboat charter while paying them less than a US citizen?

"Hey, Jose, when you finish the roof, take these gringo's for a boat ride."
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by Freeebird View Post
    No offense, but what does that have to do with anything unless the plan is to save a few bucks by hiring an illegal immigrant to run a bareboat charter while paying them less than a US citizen?

Hmmm.... read his post again. Slowly.

A resident is not an illegal immigrant. A resident is someone who can live, and WORK in the US. They have a RESIDENT visa, a SS#, they pay taxes and are entitled to all the same benefits a citizen is. The only thing they can NOT do is vote, and be a Captain on a US flagged vessel. And I think be an employee of the FBI/NSA and CIA... but I'm not sure about that.

This is the heritage of marine law that dates waaaay back. At this point it makes no sense, but that happens. By comparison you do NOT need to be a US citizen to be the Captain on a US flagged airplane, either in domestic or flag (international) operations.

And I wasn't. I immigrated in 1982 from The Netherlands, legally, had my resident visa and was happily piloting an aircraft for a major US airline until ...... 9/11. Suddenly things got mighty restrictive. The company had to submit to the FAA every time a non-citizen went into a simulator for training, customs got nasty and so on and so forth. Typical knee jerk reaction but that's another story. I know the folks in the marine business saw the same, take the TWIC card for instance.

So I did the thing and me and 1000 other fine folks stood there with a little stars and stripes in our hands and recited the pledge of allegiance, well I did, and one other guy, most people mumbled something, and whopdeedoo we're a son of Uncle Sam.

Ironically at the time I had no intention of being a boat captain, now with retirement looming and a bunch of shirts with epaulettes in the closet..... you never know. I have an expired 6 pack, gonna have to renew that and may have to test Pascals theory that you can't sell a sunset cruise to 6 or less people..... I won't have to do it to make a living, but if I can make enough to fill up the tanks for my winter trek to Florida that would be pretty cool.
    Last edited by oscarvan; 10-23-2019 at 01:08 PM.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    Hmmm.... read his post again. Slowly.

A resident is not an illegal immigrant. A resident is someone who can live, and WORK in the US. They have a RESIDENT visa, a SS#, they pay taxes and are entitled to all the same benefits a citizen is. The only thing they can NOT do is vote, and be a Captain on a US flagged vessel. And I think be an employee of the FBI/NSA and CIA... but I'm not sure about that.

This is the heritage of marine law that dates waaaay back. At this point it makes no sense, but that happens. By comparison you do NOT need to be a US citizen to be the Captain on a US flagged airplane, either in domestic or flag (international) operations.

And I wasn't. I immigrated in 1982 from The Netherlands, legally, had my resident visa and was happily piloting an aircraft for a major US airline until ...... 9/11. Suddenly things got mighty restrictive. The company had to submit to the FAA every time a non-citizen went into a simulator for training, customs got nasty and so on and so forth. Typical knee jerk reaction but that's another story. I know the folks in the marine business saw the same, take the TWIC card for instance.

So I did the thing and me and 1000 other fine folks stood there with a little stars and stripes in our hands and recited the pledge of allegiance, well I did, and one other guy, most people mumbled something, and whopdeedoo we're a son of Uncle Sam.

Ironically at the time I had no intention of being a boat captain, now with retirement looming and a bunch of shirts with epaulettes in the closet..... you never know. I have an expired 6 pack, gonna have to renew that and may have to test Pascals theory that you can't sell a sunset cruise to 6 or less people..... I won't have to do it to make a living, but if I can make enough to fill up the tanks for my winter trek to Florida that would be pretty cool.
    Google, "sarcasm", and get back to me.

The main point was that the point Pascal made was not really relevant to the topic at hand... or the posts that lead this particular conversation.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

It is very relevant as Bareboat charters do not require a licensed captain but whoever operates the boat must be a US citizen if the boat is Documented which is likely.

And if you own a documented boat, you can not hire a legal resident allien 6 pack captain to run it.
    Last edited by Pascal; 10-23-2019 at 01:33 PM.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    It is very relevant as Bareboat charters do not require a licensed captain but whoever operates the boat must be a US citizen if the boat is Documented which is likely.

And if you own a documented boat, you can not hire a legal resident allien 6 pack captain to run it.
    And YOU can't legally hire ANYBODY to run it as the owner who is offering a bareboat charter.

I suppose that does bring up an interesting point, especially for owners in south Florida. If you offer your boat as a true bareboat charter, would you be required by law to rent the boat only to a US citizen?

Seriously, I think we're getting into silly territory here where citizenship issues and bareboat chartering are concerned, but it does make for interesting conversation. Has your accent ever raised any eyebrows with the Coasties?

Yes, I'm just messing with you.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

And YOU can't legally hire ANYBODY to run it as the owner who is offering a bareboat charter.

I suppose that does bring up an interesting point, especially for owners in south Florida. If you offer your boat as a true bareboat charter, would you be required by law to rent the boat only to a US citizen?

Seriously, I think we're getting into silly territory here where citizenship issues and bareboat chartering are concerned, but it does make for interesting conversation.
    This thread is about chartering rules. I don’t think that the captain citizenship is silly territory as if an owner hires a non US citizen to captain the boat, even on a crewed 6 pack charter, the documentation certificate will be void and the owner exposed to fines.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I won’t be posting any more videos on this site. It seems to bother some people, so…….. If you want to see this video “Don’t get stopped, get legal” or any others that I refer to in the future, feel free to see them on our YouTube channel linked in my signature. (I was told I could say that) lol

USGWorkshop.jpg

You've never seen me advertise our company. (Because it's not allowed) Miami Cruise Yacht Charters. We specialize in preparing and managing yacht charters for owners. Our first step is to get the owner's boat compliant with ALL law enforcement regulations. Then we market and manage the boat and its charters.

We are currently writing a book for publication were boat owners can get all the information they need in one place, to operate legally. Once it’s complete and signed off by each department, I’ll share a link so you can get a copy.

Here are a SOME of the topics I cover.
    • What’s the difference between types of “charter” and “Bareboat”?
    • What is:
    1. Coast Guard Safety Inspection
    2. Un-inspected Passenger Vessel
    3. Inspected, Un-inspected Passenger Vessel
    4. Inspected Passenger Vessel
    • Definition of “Charterer”
    • Relinquishing Ownership
    • Onboard “required publications”
    • Onboard “required documentation”
    • Onboard “required equipment”
    • Stability Certificate
    • COI
    • Types of Registration Endorsements
    • Staff (Safety essential and non-safety essential)
    • Sewage and trash out plan
    • Fire Safety Equipment and inspections
    • Personal Safety Equipment

We charge our customers for this service. That’s why I don’t share this information publicly, as we are not allowed to advertise on this site. But like I said, once the book is published, I’ll share it with this site members.
    MASTERPLAN MIAMI
    1975 58 Ft. Yacht Fish
    8V71TI
    HULL # 396
    www.YouTube.com/MASTERPLANMIAMI

Adventure Awaits

This thread came up in conversation at our marina. A question came up whether the same rules apply to a foreign built vessel. Say if someone owned a Nordhavn or such. I am not aware of any distinction but I thought I'd put the question out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Passages View Post
    This thread came up in conversation at our marina. A question came up whether the same rules apply to a foreign built vessel. Say if someone owned a Nordhavn or such. I am not aware of any distinction but I thought I'd put the question out there.
    Rules are basically the same except that Foreign vessels cannot get certified as "Inspected Vessel". The can be "Inspected - Uninspected Vessel" They can be used for charter and bareboat. Not sure if that was your question.
    MASTERPLAN MIAMI
    1975 58 Ft. Yacht Fish
    8V71TI
    HULL # 396
    www.YouTube.com/MASTERPLANMIAMI

Adventure Awaits