Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: O Boy, that's gonna be some fuel bill.....

Microcommanders have been around for a long time and are installed on thousands of boats. The also were used on many commercial vessels. It was a pretty common install back before engines and transmissions became electronic.

ZF bought up Microcommander years ago and did a complete redesign on the box. One important thing is they must have good power. I think many people installed them with crap power sources. ZF makes a "Automatic Power Selector" that allows the control system to be powered by two battery sources (it's basically a reverse diode isolator). Mercury makes one with 3banks for the Verado steering.

I spoke with a guy that specializes in them and he used to work for the original Mr. Mathers. He said the new ZF design really was an improvement. Most of the issues were/are with bad power. But he also mentioned that there MUST be an emergency engine shutoff at each control station (this is in the manual, too).

On my boat I still need to modify the wiring and install the auto power selector. I'm also working on getting engine start/stops at all 3+ stations.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Pretty much every boat with remote stations (wing or aft deck) ahould have stop, start switches as well as horn. This should apply to every type of control. Start switches are critical when docking in case of an engine glitch. Horn too for obvious reason
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I would love remote trans/throttle for backing into a slip. The MY has such a blind spot immediately aft that I always request a bow In tie up.

Was at FLIBS yesterday and spoke with a guy selling such a device. All was going well until I mentioned I have hynautic controls. Nope, gotta have electronic controls for his system.

Quote Originally Posted by Passages View Post
    Was at FLIBS yesterday and spoke with a guy selling such a device. All was going well until I mentioned I have hynautic controls. Nope, gotta have electronic controls for his system.
    The best/easiest/most practical way to obtain multiple station controls is go electronic by repowering to electronic engines/transmissions!

Though, with hynatic controls it's probably very simple to add cockpit controls because running hoses is easier than running control cables. Talk with the experts and pick up some used parts....it may be as simple as Tee-ing into the existing hoses.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    The best/easiest/most practical way to obtain multiple station controls is go electronic by repowering to electronic engines/transmissions!
    'best/easiest/most practical' I didn't see 'cheapest' . Anyone know the price of a pair of installed CATS?

E controls aren’t cheap. I had looked into Morse electronics which have now been replaced by a newer version and it was about $8k

Check with Sea Star Hynautic. Adding an aft deck Station should be a much cheaper option

I only ran a Viking MY once, a 60 something between Tampa and Treasure Cay. Sight lines from the lower helm weren’t that bad when backing in. A good stern cam with a large monitor at the lower helm would do the trick too
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    E controls aren’t cheap. I had looked into Morse electronics which have now been replaced by a newer version and it was about $8k
    Replaced my old pneumatic controls with ZF electric. Did the 4 station install myself for close to $10k if my memory serves me. I can confirm good power source is absolutely necessary, but apparently the glitches were worked out when ZF bought microcommander.

I love my ZF electric controls, but strangely enough I miss my old school pneumatics. You *knew* when you went in and out of gear... "ppssshhhhhhhhhh"

Quote Originally Posted by scallywag View Post
    Replaced my old pneumatic controls with ZF electric. Did the 4 station install myself for close to $10k if my memory serves me. I can confirm good power source is absolutely necessary, but apparently the glitches were worked out when ZF bought microcommander.

I love my ZF electric controls, but strangely enough I miss my old school pneumatics. You *knew* when you went in and out of gear... "ppssshhhhhhhhhh"
    The sound was nice but not the failures
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I’ll stick with the traditional configuration, i prefer to have the engines and transmissions attached by cable to my hand LOL
    Gene
    Former Owner 1974 Hatteras Yachtfish
    Glittering Image

Hull # 50
    Total Production 1972-1975 Sixty Four