Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Raw Water/Riser Removal

Okay another question from a noob. For someone very mechanical, is it a straight forward job to remove Riser from 892s? I don’t plan to reinstall them myself.

Also, any special tricks for an r&r on the raw water pumps. They both leak. If it’s a simple unbolt, remove gasket then reverse the process I hate to pay someone else. However these are critical items that are cheaper to have done right then screw up myself.

Re: Raw Water/Riser Removal

Hardest part of removing the riser is getting the hose loose. Go around the hose with tool and stretch the hose enough to shoot some wd-40 between the hose and the riser. I use a pick that’s made for pulling large cotter pins. Be sure and plug the exhaust hose if disconnected overnight. If the raw water pump is leaking it’s probably the seal. I would remove the pump and rebuild it on a work bench or take it the someone to rebuild. Check the bearings while you have the pump apart

Whenever you take the exhaust system apart you potentially run the risk of the boat sinking. At the other end of the exhaust pipe is a really big hole in the boat. So on the hard, or IMHO hire a pro.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Or plug the hole. Inflatable test balls have been used. (That's a plumbing tool, all you pervs.)
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Recently, I removed one of mine for welding. I lightly inflated a ball fender in the transom exhaust. After pulling the exhaust elbow and allowing a gallon or two to drain, I was dry. Even so, I inserted another fender from the ER side while the welder had it. Just remember, a little bit of air goes a long way; doesn't take much to seal.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Using a heat gun to heat up the hose rubber will also GREATLY assist in making it plyable enough to work with. I fought a LOT of hard stiff rubber hoses until I discovered what wonders a heat gun will do for making them easy to work with.

Also, what others have said about blocking the exhuast passage. If you're low on fuel it may be out of the water for the most part already.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL