Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

First Time “poster” re: 43DC

Hello-just registered, please feel free to redirect me if I’m using the wrong medium. Possibly making an offer on a 1979 43DC with NA DD 671’s. Come from a Trawler background but have a become interested in the Hatteras, though my background on these boats has been limited to what I can find on line. That being said I thought I’d go straight to the source, so any and all information on anything I should be aware of prior to the survey/sea trial would be greatly appreciated! Also, We are looking to do the loop and what I can glean from the net is that this boat has a 17.10 air height?Thanks so much for any advice-Pete

Re: First Time “poster” re: 43DC

You have found the right spot. I’ll leave the answers to the pros that have owned that model. Best of luck on your search.
    Attached Images
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Where are you located?

Where is the boat located?

What are you having done for the survey?

Who is doing the survey or surveys?

What are your performance expectations for seatrial?

What are your expectations on the condition of the systems?
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Yes. 1979 Flybridge 43DC measures 17 feet 10 in. to the fixed railing on the flybridge.

Thank you for your responses.

The 43DC has a great floor/deck plan layout for large or small groups.
    I prefer the no dinette model which gives larger salon and fwd. head.
    Of course the centerline queen in the master is desirable.

The only issues I had when I purchased mine was some soft spots in the flybridge floor. Others have encountered soft spots on the fwd. deck. Leaks around the salon Windows are also common and immediately apparent by stains on the surrounding wood.

Good luck on your search,
    Capt. Rob

I have repeatedly measured an air height of 16' to the hard rail surrounding the flybridge wind screen. My methodology was to place a beam across the rail and measure the distance to the water on both sides.

I don't know where 17.1 comes from. It may be theoretical.

Why repeatedly? Just fact checking my memory and boosting my confidence level.
    Greg Harrington
    43 DCFB 1977 w/Cummins 903 M1 (340HP)
    Hull #454

A cheap laser level with a measuring stick on the side to the ground is how I verify air draft on trailers/RV's. Me thinks the same technique would would work quite nicely on a boat.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Greg, doesn't that depend on the tide? Okay, I'll show myself out....LOL

These were also built without flying bridges, which would probably be more suitable for doing the Great Loop. But there's bound to be someone here who's done the loop on a 43 Hatteras, and since most of the ones built included flying bridges, more than likely someone will tell you whether the air draft of their boat was a problem on that trip.

Hatteras built these for a long time. They were a very successful boat for them. I suspect most owners run them at lower speeds, especially those with NAs, but those engines will last nearly forever if well-maintained.

Just for reference, and to save you the Googling.....

The absolute max for the loop is 19'1" (Chicago into the rivers)

After that there are restrictions on areas you can or cannot access. On the Erie canal west bound you cannot go all the way unless you're under 15'6". You will go into Ontario and through the Oswego canal.

There's a few more, but these are the biggies.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay