Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: First Time “poster” re: 43DC

My flat top is about 13'-6". I'm calling it 14'.
    Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    Where are you located?Where is the boat located?What are you having done for the survey?Who is doing the survey or surveys?What are your performance expectations for seatrial? What are your expectations on the condition of the systems?
    I’m located in Michigan, boat is as well. Waiting to hear back from surveyor (has done a few for me in past). If we move forward with offer, sea trial won’t happen until ice is off the lakes next spring, boating season here has ended. My expectations are that the systems are currently working to SOP (broker states they are...)with the understanding that they are forty years old and will need attention sooner rather than later.

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    Just for reference, and to save you the Googling.....The absolute max for the loop is 19'1" (Chicago into the rivers)After that there are restrictions on areas you can or cannot access. On the Erie canal west bound you cannot go all the way unless you're under 15'6". You will go into Ontario and through the Oswego canal.There's a few more, but these are the biggies.
    Yep, I’m familiar with the 19’1” bridge and Canadian route as well. Thanks!

I’ve spent quite a bit of time running a 43DC that I know for fact has done the loop, and it has a bridge. The factory specs will be a tad different as those don’t account for load. Your actual clearance will likely be less, but it’s impossible for it to be more.

There is also the matter of the level of the river in Chicago where your lowest fixed bridge is. Assuming your boat has no arch or radar mast, you’ll be fine. I had to stop below the bridge and drop the mast on a boat I moved through there a few years ago. Even then I had to sneak up on that bridge to make absolutely sure it would fit. It was a bit unnerving to say the least.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by Freeebird View Post
    I had to sneak up on that bridge to make absolutely sure it would fit. It was a bit unnerving to say the least.
    Not half as much fun as climbing a 65 foot mast to check at eye level.........
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    Not half as much fun as climbing a 65 foot mast to check at eye level.........
    We don’t talk about ****botes on here, but we do tend to laugh at WAFI’s. 😊

I don’t know how much the Sanitary Canal level fluctuates, but I’m guessing it could become very problematic under certain conditions. I had to cancel a Chicago delivery this past summer because of water levels on the Mississippi and Illinois Rivers. Lock closures were the primary issue then, so I didn’t even bother checking that bridge clearance at the time. I actually saved that guy a ton of money and grief by refusing to leave out of Paducah with a wait and see attitude at Kaskaskia. As things turned out, there would have been no choice but to sit for weeks. It would have been that or coming back while praying the boat didn’t run out of fuel. There was no fuel between Paducah and Alton, IL and even Alton ended up underwater.

He ended up hauling it, pulling the bridge, and trucking it at a cost of about $10K. The “captain” he hired didn’t bother checking ahead before he left out of TX with a new purchase. NEVER leave point A until you know you can reach point B.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Some experience with this issue, we are new owners of a 43DC with bridge and we are based in Waterford, NY. There is a bridge north on the Champlain Canal between locks 3 and 4 that is about 17-17'4". We put our mast down to go under this bridge, but we fit with a bit of room to spare.

We are strongly considering removing the flybridge, actually.
    Brett Portzer 1972 Hatteras 43DC331
    2019- SUPERNOVA Waterford, NY
    1977-2019 CAROL-SUE Baltimore, MD
    1972-1977 C.VALPRISANN IV Boston, MA

Quote Originally Posted by brettportzer View Post
    Some experience with this issue, we are new owners of a 43DC with bridge and we are based in Waterford, NY. There is a bridge north on the Champlain Canal between locks 3 and 4 that is about 17-17'4". We put our mast down to go under this bridge, but we fit with a bit of room to spare.

We are strongly considering removing the flybridge, actually.
    IMHO the 43 DC looks much better without the flybridge. Carry on.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Owner of 1972 '43 DCFB, for 23 years, since 1997, always on Great Lakes for me. They are very solid vessels.
    Compare to any other brand of this size and they will weigh 7-10k#'s more. I once (!) road out a 55kt wind, 15'+ seas in this boat, near Mackinaw Bridge; not recommended, but she never put the bow or rails under.
    Except for the 6-71's, that extra weight is in the very solid, non-core, hull.

Prime functions of a boat, incl your 43' Hatt are 1) Float, 2) Go, 3) Appearance, in that order. Sams usually has any parts you need.

So based on my 23 years of ownership, plus other comments on this site, if you cannot validate that the work has been done, consider doing as follows:
    Replace the fuel and lube lines; over time they can go bad internally
    Check condition of the Holding Tanks pumpout pipes; if brass, they corrode from the bottom up and cease to pump out, leaving nasty stuff in bottom of tank.. Plastic replacements can be obtained from Sams.
    Check the Flying Bridge and Foredeck for soft spots. If none, that is great. Otherwise repair with Coosa Board
    Verify main engines have straight 40W, low-ash lube oil. I simply cut to chase and use Detroit Diesel DD10-40 40wgt oil. (No, DD10-40 is not multi-wgt). Posts on here discuss brands and why 40wgt for 2-cycle Detroits (valve train pressures).
    Check engines oil pressure at cold start and warmed up.
    When cold should rise to above 50#'s and then settle back to 50, via a pressure relief valve.
    When warm/hot, should hold 50#'s at 900+ rpm, 15-20-25#'s at idle
    The Detroit Diesel startup test for a tight engine, when started cold, say 60 degs ambient, is that they will smoke when started, but clear up in 15-20 secs. Less tight engines may require 30-60+ secs to stop smoking.
    Ensure the "air box covers" gaskets are all sealing tight. A DD 2-cycle will starve for air, run poorly and use more fuel, if the "Air Box" pressure is low. The Roots blower on a 6-71NA maintains the pressure in the Air Box.
    The Hydraulic Steering Reservoir should be 3"'s from top and hold 30#'s pressure. Pressure can be increased with a bicycle pump. If won't hold pressure, may have a leaking hose or fitting.
    Consider "Barrier Coating" hull, if have repainted. Any gel-coat blisters can be repaired, before applying Interlux 2000 Barrier Coat.
    Batteries weigh 140#'s (8D's). Two big, young strong guys can replace if need be- not you. Many posts here about battery choices: brands and CCAs'.
    Get the fuel polished and ensure lube and fuel filters are fresh.
    If you find Wire Nuts - REMOVE them and replace, if indicated, with proper marine wiring and crimps.
    P.s., my 7.5Kw Onan Genset was bench rebuild and starts and runs well- uses no oil.

That is my list and comments.
    Last edited by spartonboat1; 01-03-2020 at 11:08 PM. Reason: typos
    50 Years on the Great Lakes...

Quote Originally Posted by spartonboat1 View Post
    Owner of 1972 '43 DCFB, for 23 years, since 1997, always on Great Lakes for me. They are very solid vessels.
    Thank you and others for sharing your informative comments.
    Eddie Clemons Nashville, TN Southern Pride 1988 52CHATCS441K788 2004 Caterpillar 3406e's