Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Fresh Air Vent Hose Repair or Replacement

When I removed my old washer/dryer, I was able to see the fresh air vent hose on the other side of washer/dryer closet. It has deterioriated near the connection to the fresh air vent.

Looking at the vent itself. I do not see any fasteners. I do see what looks like a mounting plate screwed underneath the deck where the vent connects on the inside.

I want to repair or replace this while I'm replacing the washer/dryer.

Any suggestions or BTDT will be much appreciated before I start tearing into it.... Thanks!

IMG_3708.jpg

IMG_3725.jpg

IMG_3726.jpg
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL

Re: Fresh Air Vent Hose Repair or Replacement

Isn't that mold? It looks like it to me.

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    Isn't that mold? It looks like it to me.
    Jim-

I have not gotten a close up view or touch it yet.... not sure...
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL

So.... I got an up close and personal look and feel of the hose itself... it appears the deterioration of the hose came from when the boat was painted a few years ago (2015).... there is definitely paint on the inside of the hose where it has holes. I'm thinking the chemicals in the paint attacked the plastic material of the hose.... which I believe to be PVC.

Approximately 10 inches or so below where the holes are, the plastic is fairly pliable and not brittle at all.

Looking though the holes is the hose, it appears it's attached with screws into the wood backing plate from the INSIDE of the hose. The only way I can see how this was done is from above before the vent "horn" was attached.

Anyone know how these vent "horns" are normally atatched??
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL

Most are screwed into a plate mounted on the box. Just try grabbing the vent and unscrewing it. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlett View Post
    Most are screwed into a plate mounted on the box. Just try grabbing the vent and unscrewing it. John
    John-

I did try to just unscrew it, but it looks like it may have some sort of bedding compound under it and also appears to be "painted" in...

I might try a rubber "filter wrench" on it .....

Anyone know what these are manufactured from?.... aluminum?
    Last edited by JD5652; 10-21-2019 at 11:22 AM.
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL

One other thing to check is to see if there are screws under all that paint on that flange at the bottom, if so unscrew and work the entire thing out. Usually that flange is screwed in. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Chrome plated bronze, screwed into a fastened from underneath receiver. Mud dauber nest. Replace with a vent screen. ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults