Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Hatteras53 bathroom wallpaper

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post

Why'd I do it? So easy to clean.

I imagine one could just as easily install them smooth side out for a good wallpaper substrate.
    If I had a ER that size I could see going the FRP route. When I did the Head thought about bringing the wood under the wallpaper back to life. The 1st test section proved to be way too time consuming, the FRP worked out great, nicely sealed seams and easy to clean. Since I had to take down the PO's bead board for wire runs I'll be doing the ceiling as well.

Thank you Jim and Eric.

Did you glue the Lonseal down?

Jon
    Jonathan Brein
    1982 43' DCFB #550
    "Paragon"
    Chesapeake, Virginia

Yes. Lonseal has their own glue which we used.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Quote Originally Posted by SeaEric View Post
    Yes. Lonseal has their own glue which we used.

Thanks Eric.

Jon
    Jonathan Brein
    1982 43' DCFB #550
    "Paragon"
    Chesapeake, Virginia

Mine had wallpaper too... removed it with hot water and scrapers. The base was actually clean Mat Formica which doesn’t look too bad, I will eventually cover it with glossy white Formica to match the tub enclosure I ve already done
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Mine had wallpaper too... removed it with hot water and scrapers. The base was actually clean Mat Formica which doesn’t look too bad, I will eventually cover it with glossy white Formica to match the tub enclosure I ve already done
    warm water and scrapers made for a quick and easy job
    '88 55'C hull 394 ​BEATs Therapy
    12-71 TA's ZF BW190 1.5:1 gears

We used the Lonseal adhesive, too. Putting a lot of weight on it while it's setting up helps quite a bit. No complaints so far and we are about 2y out at this point, I think.

We also have Lonseal in our heads. Use there adhesive, it is far better than stuff you buy at a hardware store. Works really well with a heavy roller and then lots of weight overnight as others have said. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Really, I should have done the floors in the salon and head with Lonseal years ago. I always had carpet in them, because that's what my boat had originally. I probably changed it out three or four times, it would look good for a year and then shed, look ratty, and take up grease and stains. I wish I had done the Lonseal decades ago. Carpeting a high-traffic area in a boat is pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    I used FRP for my ER overhead, 4 X 8 embossed sheets from Lowes. I cut them on a table saw to fit the grids. Then I used Loctite adhesive and stiff-knees to hold them in place for 30 minutes or so for the set-up time. Almost three years later with just inches of headroom over my motors, they have held tight in 130-140 degree heat.
    did you put new sound deadening above the FRP? what did you use?
    '88 55'C hull 394 ​BEATs Therapy
    12-71 TA's ZF BW190 1.5:1 gears