Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hatteras53 bathroom wallpaper

Hi
    Anyone know best way to remove old wallpaper
    from bathroom in 1970 Hatteras53 sports fisherman?
    Any ideas on what to replace it with?

Re: Hatteras53 bathroom wallpaper

You could either paint it, as is, or have it stripped off and install new wallpaper. Or, I suppose, tile it.

When I re did the heads in my 1966 41 TC, we started peeling and realized that the original vinyl/cloth backed wallpaper was underneath the then top layer. The original stuff was quite robust and once that was peeled off I saw that it had been hung in a glue that looked like it was troweled on to the plywood walls. I began what was going to be a lengthy process of disc sanding/smoothing the walls out for new wallpaper. I soon realized that was going to take forever. I abandoned that and instead just knocked the worst of it off and then had my wallpaper guy hang a liner paper first and then the new wallpaper over it. It worked out well. I chose a sortof "busy" pattern from Tommy Bahama that didn't highlight any imperfections that remained. Before and after photos are available on my boat's website: www.41hatteras.com
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

I’ve done it in a 1965 Chris. Once I removed it I re-papered the walls. I’ll recommend you don’t do it. It took weeks. I’ll suggest using the hard white panels that Hatteras used in the late 70’s. I re-did a head in the Chris with it and it was a snap and looked fabulous. If you prefer the wood look you could use 1/8 mahogany ply and varnish it once complete. Best of luck and send photos.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I redid my heads over. In two of them I sanding the original white Formica with 80 grit and installed gray Formica over the top. In the other head I used a commercial grade wall paper available in 54” widths
    Pete. 1980 53 my. #575

Eric,

Nice job with wall paper and I like the color and pattern!

What did you use for your flooring in the head?

Jon
    Jonathan Brein
    1982 43' DCFB #550
    "Paragon"
    Chesapeake, Virginia

Jon, if you're interested: I had Lonseal teak-and-holly imitation flooring done in the salon and my boat's head. Looks great, not too expensive, and has held up well. I got it from Defender Marine.

Quote Originally Posted by blue rhapsody View Post
    Hi
    Anyone know best way to remove old wallpaper
    from bathroom in 1970 Hatteras53 sports fisherman?
    Any ideas on what to replace it with?
    I went with FRP in my 31C, turned out great.

https://www.facebook.com/john.mcclim...1480212225743/
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by jrbrein View Post
    Eric,

Nice job with wall paper and I like the color and pattern!

What did you use for your flooring in the head?

Jon
    It's Lonseal maple and mahogany. Fwd head and galley, and aft head.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

I used FRP for my ER overhead, 4 X 8 embossed sheets from Lowes. I cut them on a table saw to fit the grids. Then I used Loctite adhesive and stiff-knees to hold them in place for 30 minutes or so for the set-up time. Almost three years later with just inches of headroom over my motors, they have held tight in 130-140 degree heat.

Why'd I do it? So easy to clean.

I imagine one could just as easily install them smooth side out for a good wallpaper substrate.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC