Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Newbie here with 92658 questions...

Hi All,

Awesome form! A vast amount of knowledge that has proven valuable in my recent purchase!

I am a newbie here. I just purchased a 1981 48’ MY. The short version is I have been looking for a looper boat that I can live/cruise on in the winter after we do the loop. I saw the Hat and although not the perfect loop boat I fell in love. She looked so sophisticated and stately. The back deck the bridge the… well you all get it I think. Well I couldn’t resist, with the help and advice of a few of you on this form (through PM’s and a few phone calls thanks) I made a lowball offer and they basically took it. I about shit myself. Although I have been boating all my life, never in anything quite this big. The next biggest is my 31’ pontoon with a 10’2” beam. Just a quick FYI I did get my Six pack License a few years ago in preparation of this purchase and will definitely hire a experienced Captain next spring to provide me with proper instruction and travel with me until I feel comfortable in piloting/docking it myself. Well there is the short version.

So now the questions begin. I have been looking for a dinghy. I found one I really like but it is a bit on the heavier side. It is a Projet 350 weighing about 650lbs. It has had limited use only in fresh water. I have read the pros and cons of a Jet tender and am comfortable with the cons but I certainly may have missed something so feel free to weigh in with opinions please! What I can’t find is a good or the right davit system for it if I do go ahead with the purchase. I will be cruising with a 75lb golden that will need to be transported to shore from time to time so I want something that is easily deployable off the back (transom or swim deck mounted) What I am struggling with is finding a weight rating for the swim platform. How much can it hold on the outer edge as opposed to something mounted in the in the middle. Does something like that even exist? I know it will depend on the width of the platform. Mine, I believe, is original and maybe two feet wide. I am looking at putting some kind of steps out the back in place of the ladder so I am considering that also with choosing the right davit system. I keep searching for info and pictures of Hat MY’s with different systems but have found little info so far. Any advice or input on my ramblings above is greatly appreciated!

Once I figure out this issue we’ll move on to inverters, solar panels, windlasses, electronics, …. LOL!

Cheers,

…b

Re: Newbie here with 92658 questions...

Personally I think you'd be much better off with a RIB tender and a small outboard for it. 650 pounds is a lot of weight to try and stow anywhere, I think. I believe (no proof on this) that most of the yachts here with tenders have inflatables of some kind.

I bought a Boston Whaler Rage 14 jet boat with the idea of using it as a tender on my 58TC, but it had a crane that would handle the weight, and it would have been on a cradle behind the bridge. I think you might have some difficulties trying to do anything involving the swim platform as I can’t see trying to put such a boat up on its side. The platform would handle the weight, but I don’t think the tender would be happy. Davits on the transom would be your best bet. Then comes the issue of your beam vs the length of your tender.

As for the Captain/teaching thing, where will you be keeping the new boat? I can definitely get you up to speed on locks etc. in preparation for your loop adventure. I’ve done a little better than half at this point.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

I agree with Jim that boat is too heavy for your 48. I had a friend in San Diego that lived aboard with a Golden Retriever and he had a rib tender with a 25 horse outboard and had not problems transporting the dog. I'd go with the rib and outboard if I were you.
    Regards;
    Byron
    “In this world, you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant. Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant.”
    ― Elwood P. Dowd

If you have lots of money, like most of us lol, look at a Freedom Lift, nice piece of equipment with a pretty good lift capacity. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Thanks for the responses, all very helpful. Freebird the boat is by Minneapolis on the St Croix.

I found an older Logic rotomolded plastic dinghy in the shape of an inflatable with a 2-stroke 15 horse engine. It will do about 20 mph and weighs very little. The "tubes" are rigid so guests can step on them when getting on and off and will accept non-skid for sure footing. It's a cheap thing that I think fits the bill perfectly.

Dink.jpg
    Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA

Quote Originally Posted by hibbingbrian View Post
    Thanks for the responses, all very helpful. Freebird the boat is by Minneapolis on the St Croix.
    I would LOVE to see that part of the river. I’ve been as far north as the Quad Cities on the Mississippi. I lost my golden of 12 years a few months ago and recently adopted a white German Shepherd. Haven’t taken him boating yet, but he loves riding in vehicles.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

I use an inflatable and 9.9 hp mercury that I lift and lower from the flybridge. I originally wanted something more robust but after reading stories of trying to launch and hoist heavy dinghies, I am glad I went light. However, I am intrigued by this arrangement off the swim platform...

https://www.technomadia.com/2019/03/...date-and-tour/

If I ever decide to move my dinghy to the swim platform and free up a bunch of fly bridge space, this is probably what I would use.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Now I HAVE seen everything. A Bayliner with an Ultra anchor. Good for them.