Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Coolant change advise

I’m going to be flushing out the coolant in the next few weeks for the first time since I bought the 53’. I hate liquids of any type in my bilge, so I’m looking for any advice on capturing the old coolant other than just letting it drain into the bilge. Has anyone set up a system that gathers the coolant into buckets or some kind of containers with a pump? I know you’re probably laughing but I just hate water inside the boat. Lol
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Re: Coolant change advise

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    I’m going to be flushing out the coolant in the next few weeks for the first time since I bought the 53’. I hate liquids of any type in my bilge, so I’m looking for any advice on capturing the old coolant other than just letting it drain into the bilge. Has anyone set up a system that gathers the coolant into buckets or some kind of containers with a pump? I know you’re probably laughing but I just hate water inside the boat. Lol
    Rusty, give me a call on this.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Rusty, I used a flat plastic container that holds maybe a gallon and slid it under the lower pet cock and filled it then dumped it into a 5 gallon bucket, took awhile but nothing ended up in the bilge. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Rusty, we did this on my boat's engines, and some description may be helpful to you. Like you, I hate anything spilt in the bilge, or the engine pans, and will go to a lot of trouble to avoid it.

Best I recall, what we did was this:
    -diapers (those square absorbent sheets) positioned under the block drains.
    -small bucket under drains, with a little Rule pump in it, to 12vdc, the hose going to a much larger bucket.
    -open block drain, and when coolant is running out into the small bucket, remove the expansion tank cap.
    -you may have to probe the block drain with a piece of wire to get it to drain properly. These don't get used much and tend to silt up or clog.
    -when engine is drained dry, close drain, and shut off Rule pump.

You will probably need two 5gal buckets at least for Detroits, which hold a lot more AF then my Cummins 5.9 engines.

When you refill the engine with new AF, you'll find that it takes quite a while for all the dissolved air to come out. If you have room over the expansion tanks, there is a very neat device auto parts stores sell to enable you to burp all the air out of the system and completely fill it with AF. I can't remember the brand name, but it has plastic funnels, a series of radiator cap adapters, etc. Very useful.

Hope this is helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post

When you refill the engine with new AF, you'll find that it takes quite a while for all the dissolved air to come out. If you have room over the expansion tanks, there is a very neat device auto parts stores sell to enable you to burp all the air out of the system and completely fill it with AF. I can't remember the brand name, but it has plastic funnels, a series of radiator cap adapters, etc. Very useful.

Hope this is helpful.
    https://www.amazon.com/OEMTOOLS-87009-No-Spill-Coolant-Filling/dp/B01A2CQSU6/ref=asc_df_B01A2CQSU6/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312142020868&hvpos=1o4&hvne tw=g&hvrand=18124022721205948152&hvpone=&hvptwo=&h vqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9018809 &hvtargid=aud-799727667774la-493792710903&psc=1

Thanks for all the great advice fellas. I thought I was the only nut out there. Robert I’ll give you a call sometime today.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Once drained this is the opportunity to install something similar. Great idea Robert. I’ll call later today.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Man, Robert.... that's a lot of oxidation on that brass...you know, old tooth brush and some Brasso...... just saying......<ducks for cover>
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

He who has no boat to maintain presumes to advise the man with the best-looking engine room of all the boats here.....

And I APPLIED for this job. I musta been nuts.