Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Watertank baffle repair

It's funny how things snowball sometimes lol! Nice work on posting the pics though, very informative! Best of luck getting it all back buttoned up!
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

Cricket,

Thanks for the description of how these tanks were installed.

Please send more photos especially how you close off the tanks. I am thinking of doing this on one of my fuel tanks that has been abandoned for over 15 years.

Jon
    Jonathan Brein
    1982 43' DCFB #550
    "Paragon"
    Chesapeake, Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by jrbrein View Post
    Are the tanks built somewhere else and then dropped (and glassed) into the hull?

Or, are they part of the hull of the boat and built in?

Jon
    There used to be a video in the videos section of this site there's one that was a tour of the High Point plant. The tank molds were visible in some of the sequences and it appeared that the tanks were laid up over the molds of the inside shape. I @$$ume in two pieces, then glassed together.

Too bad the video isn't still up. It was pretty interesting.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

I cut up and removed my aft tank from lazarette due to leak. Can confirm it construction was a top and bottom molded over a plug. Baffles tabbed into bottom, with top puttied and bronze screwed to baffles and bottom, then glassed with tape over join and screw heads. Fittings installed from outside with backing plates and gaskets.
    Ray

1983 61CY 319

AnnaVal
    Jacksonville FL.

More pics
    Attached Images
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Cricket,

I take it from your pics today that the spring clamps are holding the new fiberglass "cleats" being epoxied in.

Then, your original fiberglass pieces glued (epoxy with some fiberglass) right on top of the cleats?

Details....

Thanks

Jon
    Jonathan Brein
    1982 43' DCFB #550
    "Paragon"
    Chesapeake, Virginia

Yes, epoxy the cutouts (or new pieces) onto the cleats and then glass over the seam.
    Probably going to end up using G10 pieces instead of the cut outs since they're perfect on both sides.
    We were going to just glue everything on the outside/top of the tank but think this way is stronger, and we don't have to glass a weird seam/edge.
    Using the G10 saved us a ton of hours/work, even though is looks to be expensive, $370 for a 1/4" 4x8 sheet ended up being cheap overall.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns

All sealed up, just have to install the pick ups, vent, Maretron sender, and inspection plate.
    And to think this was going to be an easy install of the Maretron parts.........
    Attached Images
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns

Very good pics and potentially very useful thread. I appreciate your making such a detailed record.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    Very good pics and potentially very useful thread. I appreciate your making such a detailed record.
    I second Roberts sentiments....

Would also like to hear more about the Maretron pickups as I will be moving to a Maretron system sooner or later.... likely sooner...

Thanks!
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL