Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Re: Dyneema as stainless rope replacement on davit

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    Again how do you secure it to the winch drum?
    I was kinda wondering the same thing, I would think if the drum has a set screw of some type, maybe you could splice a loop in the line and run the set screw through the eye of the loop? Maybe a little anti-chaffe guard in the loop eye? Or even a ss thimble?

Maybe remove the set screw and screw in an eye bolt?

Gotta be some way to get it on there.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

Prefab winch ropes for off-road use have a metal sleeve crimped onto the end for a set screw to bite down on. In lieu of that, I think the eye around the drum and line passed through it provides a positive connection.
    PHOENIX1983 60C Enclosed Bridge Hull #365Newport Beach CA

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    Protect the line with a sheath or cover. Uv protectant may cause other issues.
    West marine has white vinyl/plastic shrouding for sailboat halyards that I think is a good solution. $2 for a 6’ length.
    PHOENIX1983 60C Enclosed Bridge Hull #365Newport Beach CA

Installed 5/16" Amsteel on my boat when I upgraded to a warn 1500lb winch. No problems lifting my 950lb tender. Love the stuff. Mine cmae woth a 48" nylon sheathing but might shrink wrap when i redobthe rope some day
    1978 60C "Reel Action" Hull number 4 (304), 1986 36 Sedan "El Dorado" Hull Number 24 (324)