Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Dyneema as stainless rope replacement on davit

Has anyone here done this? Is there any concern about weather exposure or rot for the exposed braid ? What is the best connection for the davit hook and winch drum?I need to replace my wire rope and I like the idea of braid. It will be quieter, especially as it jumps over itself on the drum. I hate that sound. Thanks for the info.
    PHOENIX1983 60C Enclosed Bridge Hull #365Newport Beach CA

Re: Dyneema as stainless rope replacement on davit

I use it on my davit and it is wonderful. It is supposed to be UV protected, but we had some on our sailboat fail in the South Pacific from long sun exposure so I keep my davit covered just in case. We spliced on the hook and I used line with about the same diameter as the old wire so it attached to the drum in the same slot as the old wire and I leave quite a few wraps on the drum at all times. If you get the larger diameter to fit the drum slot you end up with line so strong you can probably lift the mothership with it but the larger diameter is not a lot more in price than the smaller.
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

How do you secure it to the drum? Most have a hole and set screw that clamps the cable
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlett View Post
    I use it on my davit and it is wonderful. It is supposed to be UV protected, but we had some on our sailboat fail in the South Pacific from long sun exposure so I keep my davit covered just in case. We spliced on the hook and I used line with about the same diameter as the old wire so it attached to the drum in the same slot as the old wire and I leave quite a few wraps on the drum at all times. If you get the larger diameter to fit the drum slot you end up with line so strong you can probably lift the mothership with it but the larger diameter is not a lot more in price than the smaller.
    Just a heads up on the "quite a few wraps" comment: Due to leverage every wrap around the drum will reduce the lifting power. I only have one more wrap than I need.

We recently repacked the SS with Dynema on the Nautical Structure David on the boat I run. Much better it s an hydraulic David though so the line is always inside the unit. Dyneema should be reasonably UV resistant but I would use a cover on the winch anyway
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

The power davit I bought through the for sale section here was rebuilt for the previous owner by MarQuipt with Dyneema cabling for the hydraulic hoist. We’ve used it for a year now with no complaints. It’s nice to be able to grab the cable barehanded without worrying about getting hooked! There is about a six inch section that is not inside the boom when stowed, I ll need to keep an eye on it and be prepared to shorten it if needed.
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht
    1986 model launched in August 1987

I have Amsteel on mine. Looks like this is similar stuff.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Where are you guys sourcing the rope from? And what diameter are you using?
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Fisheries Supply has it. I used 1/4" and it looks like Amsteel is just a brand name. Same stuff. https://www.fisheriessupply.com/sams...SAAEgIpTPD_BwE

If you want it with loop already installed, look on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/X-BULL-SK75-1...ZPQ6JBBY06524S
    Last edited by SKYCHENEY; 10-17-2019 at 08:10 PM.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

We have used it for the past 8 years on our crane. Wonderful stuff, easy on the hands and very strong. Our which came with 1/4" wire rope. I switched it out almost immediately for Dyneema 5/16". It is east to splice a loop in the end, Youtube it.

Keith
    Lady J