Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What Does This Do?

Heads were converted to fresh water. This is in the fresh water supply line for each head. I assume its some sort of check valve so the black water doesn't contaminate the fresh water. Yes? If so, how does it work and where is the electrical connection connected? Is it to the flush button? Thanks in advance. Oh and I have no idea why my pictures load sideways. Any help in that regard would also be helpful.

IMG_8279.jpg

Re: What Does This Do?

I believe that's a solenoid valve that opens when the head is flushed to let the fresh water in.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Yes, it’s a solenoid valve that should open when flushing. It’s not a check valve. It stops the continuous flow of freshwater to the toilet when not required to flush. Hope it’s backed up with a check valve for when freshwater system may be off, therefore, not providing positive water pressure. Re: pics, open them on your computer and rotate them 360 degrees before uploading.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Excellent info! So if I close the shut off valve north of this solenoid no water goes to the head that I verified. My guess is the flush button in the head controls the water flow (solenoid) and the GM pump. As per your important comment, I will check or installs a back flow preventer. Okay WT... why is it I have to rotate a picture that is oriented correctly on my computer 360 to make it work? Obviously that's what it takes and thanks.
    IMG_8279.jpg

It may be important to note that if the solenoid fails or gets weak, It will allow fresh water past it to the toilet bowl resulting in an eventual overflow onto the floor unless you catch it in time. Don't ask how I know this! .
    Eric

So that begs the question what is the best way for this set up? I like the idea of the fresh water flush but don't like the idea of a flood or reverse communication between heads and fresh water tank.

By the way Eric things are going well with the purchase, I'll PM you when we close with the details.

Quote Originally Posted by Sadey View Post
    So that begs the question what is the best way for this set up? I like the idea of the fresh water flush but don't like the idea of a flood or reverse communication between heads and fresh water tank.

By the way Eric things are going well with the purchase, I'll PM you when we close with the details.
    The best way? Galley made offers freshwater flush kits. Been thinking about going there myself. You might save a little on the homemade rigs, but then you might overlook something and end up paying more in the end.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

All right I'll be in Ft. Lauderdale for the season next week. was looking for a reason to go to GM. Now I have one.

Second thoughts,

GM's for two of the three heads seem to work fine one so so. Does it make sense to have all rebuilt while I'm in Lauderdale instread of waiting until we are up north and failure occurs? Or would it make sense to buy a spare and carry along?

The set up you have is probably ok if you're careful. You mentioned a valve to shut the fresh water feed to that line off. I would suggest to close that when you leave the boat for any extended length of time. Additional thought: If you notice the water level in the bowl creeping up - take notice and mitigate!
    Eric

All right I'll be in Ft. Lauderdale for the season next week. was looking for a reason to go to GM. Now I have one.Second thoughts,GM's for two of the three heads seem to work fine one so so. Does it make sense to have all rebuilt while I'm in Lauderdale instread of waiting until we are up north and failure occurs? Or would it make sense to buy a spare and carry along?
    If you have good access, don’t worry about it.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC