Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I think she is way underpowered.

This is just my opinion, but I think when the owner repowered her in 2010 and put 6 cylinders Cummins in with only 210 HP he greatly under powered her. I also wonder if they are as heavy as the Detroits he took out and what that did to the buoyancy of the boat.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/197...-2010-3472604/
    Regards;
    Byron
    “In this world, you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant. Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant.”
    ― Elwood P. Dowd

Re: I think she is way underpowered.

If you never feel the need to get up on plane, what’s not to like? Add ballast down low in the ER’s and upsize the stabilizer fins for hull speed and bank the savings on skipped 100hr oil changes. I am sure that there are a lot of people out there who would be very happy with such a boat.
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht
    1986 model launched in August 1987

I like having the extra power available. I normally run at hull speed and would hate to be in a boat with such low horsepower but I'm sure there are people who would enjoy a low horsepower boat. Just like there are guys who like fat girls... not my type but to each their own.
    Looking for a 80 plus foot yacht
    Hatteras of Cheoy Lee

I agree, underpowered.

It doesn’t make much sense to put engines that small in a 53 as the price difference between the 210hp B series and the 425hp C Series isn’t that big and only a fraction of the cost of a repower. From what i remember when I ordered mines, The C Series factory recon were about $7000 more ($38k vs $31k) incl new ZF gears. By the time you add labor, new Shafts, wheels, exhaust etc the difference is less than 10% of the whole repower

It was a no brainer.

The two C Series and ZF gears were about 3300lbs lighter than the 8V71Ns and Allison’s
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I suppose the argument for the small diesels is that these boats are most often not run on plane, anyway- they are run at or near hull speed- so why haul all the extra weight around and pay for bigger engines? (I don't agree with this). I imagine if you want a Hatteras 53 trawler, essentially, you can have this one and run it economically.

But most of the cost of a repower, as Pascal pointed out, is not the hard goods; it's the labor. And the difference between low-hp B series and 400 hp C series would have been small, especially if he bought them in the Cummins reman program.

I think the bottom line is that you end up with a boat that is very hard to re-sell. And this boat appears to have some cosmetic needs, and should have been cleaned up a lot better for the photos.

Why repower if you are just going to run at hull speed . Keep the Detroit’s and run at hull speed. I guess you may burn a little more fuel ,but you don’t have to pay for a repower. Maybe the Detroit’s needed to be overhauled ? Edward

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    I agree, underpowered.

The two C Series and ZF gears were about 3300lbs lighter than the 8V71Ns and Allison’s

Pascal,

I am sure you have discussed your weight differences on another thread so forgive me.

Was the 3300 pounds total? Did you replace that weight and if so with what and how did you install the ballast?

Jon
    Jonathan Brein
    1982 43' DCFB #550
    "Paragon"
    Chesapeake, Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by edward View Post
    Why repower if you are just going to run at hull speed . Keep the Detroit’s and run at hull speed. I guess you may burn a little more fuel ,but you don’t have to pay for a repower. Maybe the Detroit’s needed to be overhauled ? Edward
    And maybe he got a sweet deal on the 210hp Cummins.
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht
    1986 model launched in August 1987

Yes it s about 3300 lbs total, incl this gears. Each Allison is a little over 400lbs... the ZFs about 150lbs or so.

I didn’t put any ballast. Don’t think I will need to but waiting to finish everything. Still need to build the fwd head (where the dinette used to be) and some cabinetry in the forward centerline stateroom plus an inverter bank. So no need to fine tune the balance until most of the weight is in place.

And I have a set of oversized Trac fins...
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

For economy, I would put smaller engines in because you can't run the larger engines at low speed all of the time, and you wouldn't get the milage the smaller engines get. The reason I wouldn't is that I think it would adversely affect resale value. And mine are pretty fresh to begin with (I wouldn't reposer perfectly good engines). That would be like installing solar to save money.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL