Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Do you live aboard? If so, I have 3 questions.

Been living aboard for 16 years. Love it. No traveling with the Hatt though, just day or week end stuff, because of work. Since we running an 84 footer incl some charters , we get to spend a lot of time in the Bahamas so when we have time to travel it s classic car road trips to the mountains.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I think one has to be clear to define what he calls live aboard because I feel there is a big difference between living aboard a boat that is moored in a marina vs living aboard a boat as one cruises. The former doesn't seem much different than living in an apartment complex.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

As long as you use the boat and treat it like a boat and not a floating condo, it makes little difference. I don’t keep loose junk and everything is always stored or secure. It takes me less than 10 minutes to get out of the slip incl ER checks Lines, cords etc are all setup to be able to leave with minimal work.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    I think one has to be clear to define what he calls live aboard because I feel there is a big difference between living aboard a boat that is moored in a marina vs living aboard a boat as one cruises. The former doesn't seem much different than living in an apartment complex.
    Well, you do still learn a lot about maintenance of the “hotel” systems, everything but the propulsion and navigation stuff. Those folks have a lot to contribute here as far as troubleshooting and repairs go.
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht
    1986 model launched in August 1987

I lived aboard for years. Did it in Tidewater, VA, in Baltimore, and in Kent Island. All told, I probably have eight or ten years in various locations and boats.

My last live aboard was my current boat, my Hatteras. Best of the lot and still the best boat I've ever had.

I used her as my home, but also took her out, although not as often as I would have liked. Most of the big updates on her occurred when I was no longer living on her, because I couldn't both live on her AND repower her, for example. I found that having a storage locker was essential.

Now I have way too much stuff to live aboard. But sometimes I miss that simple life I had.

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    As long as you use the boat and treat it like a boat and not a floating condo, it makes little difference. I don’t keep loose junk and everything is always stored or secure. It takes me less than 10 minutes to get out of the slip incl ER checks Lines, cords etc are all setup to be able to leave with minimal work.

We always did like Pascal, kept our boats free of junk so we could go out anytime we wanted to. You don't have to go far to have an adventure and enjoy yourself. When we lived on the Chesapeake we spent many a weekend exploring different areas. When we lived in San Diego it wasn't as big as the Chesapeake but we still had a lot of fun going to Mexico and other places. Of course by then we were retired.
    Regards;
    Byron
    “In this world, you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant. Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant.”
    ― Elwood P. Dowd

We live on our 63 MY here in FLL. We do not go out as much as we like because my wife & I find docking and undocking such as chore.

All the engine checks, water/power/line disconnects and (worst of all) disconnecting the gangway stairs make it a 45 minute process. By the the time we are ready to back out of the slip, We have both worked up a good sweat.

For bar hopping and short trips, we usually just fire up out tender (13' Boston Whaler w/40hp). I sometimes miss the simple days when I owned a 42' Post. I could do everything alone and be on my way in 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Passages View Post
    We live on our 63 MY here in FLL. We do not go out as much as we like because my wife & I find docking and undocking such as chore.

All the engine checks, water/power/line disconnects and (worst of all) disconnecting the gangway stairs make it a 45 minute process. By the the time we are ready to back out of the slip, We have both worked up a good sweat.

For bar hopping and short trips, we usually just fire up out tender (13' Boston Whaler w/40hp). I sometimes miss the simple days when I owned a 42' Post. I could do everything alone and be on my way in 5 minutes.
    Hi if you ever want any help to go out for a day-trip or a few days my wife, Caroline and I (Mark) spend our winters (Dec 1 to March 31) in Fort Lauderdale (recently retired - rent a home in River Oakes) and would love an opportunity to get out on the water sometimes. We have a 1989 40 DC so we have some boating skills.

Mark and Caroline
    Lake of the Woods

Quote Originally Posted by Passages View Post

You need to review your set up at your home slip. Sometimes it s the little thing that make a big difference. I ve never had to spend more than 10 minutes to be out. Even with the boats i ve run, bigger than mine, it never takes me more than 10’ between pulling the first dipstick to getting the boat in gear

For instance, we tie a line around the top step of the stairs, wrap it around the rail. This way I can just pull the pins while holding on the line then lower the the stairs on the dock. Reverse procedure when we get back. If we need to take the stairs with us, it s an extra couple of minutes but for quick day trips the stairs stay on the dock.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    You need to review your set up at your home slip. Sometimes it s the little thing that make a big difference. I ve never had to spend more than 10 minutes to be out. Even with the boats i ve run, bigger than mine, it never takes me more than 10’ between pulling the first dipstick to getting the boat in gear

For instance, we tie a line around the top step of the stairs, wrap it around the rail. This way I can just pull the pins while holding on the line then lower the the stairs on the dock. Reverse procedure when we get back. If we need to take the stairs with us, it s an extra couple of minutes but for quick day trips the stairs stay on the dock.
    Always good to remember that everyone's situation, therefore set-up, is different. If you've ever stood in line to pick-up a script and overheard the DOB of the guy ahead of you, you may be as shocked as I sometimes am. Hell, maybe I look that bad to the guy behind me.

Me? It used to be I gave not a thought about jumping on and off docks like Cheetah (careful). Then I got a nasty letter from my knees. Sometimes the dock isn't even there anymore thanks to bifocals. Looking before you leap or creap takes time, you know.

If you've seen my ER pics, you might infer that Aslan is pretty well squared away. And while the ER might have checked out fine last week, ER checks have a 12 hour expiration for me. So that's 6 dipsticks, 4 breakers, 3 seacocks, 2 fuel valves and partridge in a ... Always good to take a flashlight and look under and around things. Time to start the generator for a 5 minute warm-up.

Then there's the flybridge. Seats and helm to be uncovered; cushions put out; circuit breakers to close and time to power up the electrons. Takes a bit of time to test the shift/throttle controls as well as the steering (manual and A/P). When that's done, time to snap to and hoist the colors and strike the jack-staff. Then it's MESAW (that's NASA-speak for main engine start and warm-up) and back to ER to verify raw water. Shift the electrical load and take in the umbilicals. Taking in 85' of power, cable and water, even with a cablemaster, takes time.

Time to set the special sea and anchor detail (someone get on the bow) and bring me a Gatorade. Aslan is docked in a poorly protected and strong tidal area; SOP is 10 lines. The forecast today (10/19/19) is 20-25 with 35 Kt. gusts and 2-4' INSIDE the harbor. Not unusual to get 3' on my T-head. Takes a while to single-up and then cast her off.

All of the above is generally preceded by a good washing of the boat which is finally succeeded by a good washing of the captain and a fresh uniform before welcoming guests aboard. I do catch a break--the stewardess clamps down the interior spaces.

That's my set-up, and it takes more time--a good bit more. No right or wrong or need to review what works for you or me. On the plus side, I can drop #10 of water weight, just not in 10 minutes.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC