Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Neat (not Hatteras) Boat

This is a really neat boat...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7nuFjdIySE

There is also a website that talks about their design decisions...

http://teddibearboat.com
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Re: Neat (not Hatteras) Boat

And the part you waited for, but never heard... $1.2M

https://www.boattrader.com/listing/2...ter-103293682/
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

That seems cheap for that boat, although I guess it is a somewhat unusual layout.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

I've been on a similar boat, designed by Jay Benford in St Michaels, and they are VERY nice inside, really very well made and very solid and quiet.

Westerbeke Diesel engines. 240 hp. And only 7.6 kw generators. Probably a misprint.
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee

The boater who created Active Captain and sold it to Garmin bought Billy Joel’s old 65’ Coaster, Red Head. We saw her in Key West and months later in Washington DC. They have a real tramp freighter look to them, but not the hull shape. They also look best in the larger sizes IMHO. They were built in Guatemala or Honduras in steel as a semi-custom boat. There was also one that foundered at anchor somewhere in the Chesapeake Bay in a small squall, there was some controversy in the online forums at the time as to whether the cause was stability, seamanship or design. As usual google has the details.

Anyway Red Head at 65’ lwl is a great looking boat, more of a small ship, really.
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht
    1986 model launched in August 1987

I used to know somebody who had one of those. Out on the Chesapeake during a thunderstorm, that top-heavy tub got sideways in a trough and flopped over. The big side windows aren't rated for submerged service, and when they blew in the bay followed rather quickly. The boat went down very quickly. Everybody got out alive, but...

I've been out in Chesapeake thunderstorms in my Chris Crafts. In the worst one, I was anchored and in the salon when the storm hit. The wind pushed me beam-to the waves. It was odd, looking out the salon windows and only seeing the bottom of the trough I was about to go into. But she didn't roll over on me.

was that the one in the Magothy that turtled during a summer squall? I think it was called Steel Magnolia ......Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Photolomy View Post
    That seems cheap for that boat, although I guess it is a somewhat unusual layout.
    I guess I think in terms of a 56MY or 58MY and a million bucks in the bank vs that.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by doc g View Post
    was that the one in the Magothy that turtled during a summer squall? I think it was called Steel Magnolia ......Pat
    I don't recall. It was name Steel something or something Steel.