Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

I need accurate weight of my 41c

I need an accurate weight of a 41c. My boat is 1968, repowered with cummins 8.3 but otherwise nothing major that would add weight.

Can members here please help me come up with a fair estimate of weight from ACCURATE MEASUREMENTS of their boat? Any 41 model of that vintage should be close enough.

My guess is my boat is in the 28-34,000lb range...but I have no data to go on. The marina has an old lift with no ability to measure weight. The boat was trucked, but the goofballs didn't get the weight for me when they crossed the scales.

I'm pondering putting a lift for my boat, and for that I need an approximate weight (within 5k would be fine). I think 30k lift would be borderline, but 40k would be fine.

Thank you great HOF!
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Re: I need accurate weight of my 41c

I spent months, years ago, trying to figure out what Blue Note weighed, having to do with repowering her. It is really difficult to find out what a boat weighs; there aren't a lot of accurate scales around for such a large object, and Travelift load cells tend not to agree, I'm told. When you figure this out, please let us all know. I never did solve the problem.

Hatteras might (meaning Sam's, actually) have old data on what your model weighed when new, and you could get info from boatdiesel.com about the different weight of the engines, to try and derive the actual present weight.

Have the travel lift put it in the pool and measure how much the water rises. The weight of the displaced water is equal to the weight of the boat..... Seriously, Hatteras should know from the line drawings what the displacement is, and thus the weight. Or you can try and measure/estimate the volume below the water line.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Maybe for the rear sling weight.

Its over 30k dry. 35k loaded full fuel water and gear.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

The 2nd Edition Powerboat Guide says 23,000#
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

The weights for all these boats are all over the place, depending on the "expert" who determined what
    they think it should be. I tend to think that Scott's number is probably very close to reality. How did
    I arrive at that conclusion you ask.....Well for one thing take a paper and pen and add up all the machinery
    including engines, transmissions, air conditioner units, gen sets, appliances etc. These are things that
    the actual weight should be available. Add in the weight of all the tanks..fuel, water, holding and estimate
    at what level you usually have them. Factor in furniture and clothes as well as everything else you may
    have on board - oh and don't forget the half ton of tools and spare parts that we all seem to accumulate.
    When you arrive at a number, add in another 10% for things that you are sure to forget. Now that you
    have that number, add in what you think the boat itself weighs....and don't forget things like swim platforms
    and bow pulpits and even the fly bridge which was not standard on many boats back in the day. Now
    are you surprised how heavy your boat really is? And by the way, if you can find a boat yard that has
    a fairly new well maintained travel lift, the weights fore and aft straps should be fairly accurate. Many of
    the yards fall short on maintenance of their equipment so be sure you find a yard that does-or pay
    for 2 yards and if both numbers come close you will have your answer.

Walt

Thanks for all the input. Since an exact weight isn't necessary, this exercise can be simplified. Let's say there are 3 choices: 30,000lb, 35,000 and 40,000lb. And I will assume the boat is between 28,000-38,000 pound. Any lower does not seem realistic, and I doubt it's any higher because 1,000lb per ft of length is a more solid number to use on the newer (1980's +) boats that have more "stuff". These old gals, even with the thick fiberglass, are not as heavy as the new ones.

30,000 would probably work, but when boat is full and heavy, we are likely over the safety factor.
    35,000 could be the perfect rating
    40,000 should be super safe (especially with safety factor)

If there isn't much price difference between 35 and 40, then the choice is obvious. It also allows room for something else to go on the lift in the future.

Here's
    Engine 4600lb: 2x2300 (2100 empty with gear)
    Fuel 2840lb (400 gal)
    Water 1250 (~150 gal)
    A/C 200lb total
    Fridge 100lb
    Batteries 400lb (3x8d)
    Genset 800lb (Isuzu 3cyl)
    Shaft/struts/rudders/wheels ~1800lb?

That gets 12,000lb (11,990)

The boat can't be too heavy, it does 30+ knots LOL
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Quote Originally Posted by Walter P View Post
    The weights for all these boats are all over the place, depending on the "expert" who determined what
    they think it should be. I tend to think that Scott's number is probably very close to reality. How did
    I arrive at that conclusion you ask.....Well for one thing take a paper and pen and add up all the machinery
    including engines, transmissions, air conditioner units, gen sets, appliances etc. These are things that
    the actual weight should be available. Add in the weight of all the tanks..fuel, water, holding and estimate
    at what level you usually have them. Factor in furniture and clothes as well as everything else you may
    have on board - oh and don't forget the half ton of tools and spare parts that we all seem to accumulate.
    When you arrive at a number, add in another 10% for things that you are sure to forget. Now that you
    have that number, add in what you think the boat itself weighs....and don't forget things like swim platforms
    and bow pulpits and even the fly bridge which was not standard on many boats back in the day. Now
    are you surprised how heavy your boat really is? And by the way, if you can find a boat yard that has
    a fairly new well maintained travel lift, the weights fore and aft straps should be fairly accurate. Many of
    the yards fall short on maintenance of their equipment so be sure you find a yard that does-or pay
    for 2 yards and if both numbers come close you will have your answer.
    Walt

Wow, thank you!

Mine is simpler:

Check waterline, same as yesterday?

Press starter buttons and go boating.

Jon
    Jonathan Brein
    1982 43' DCFB #550
    "Paragon"
    Chesapeake, Virginia

Contributory posts on this thread are welcome. Personal attacks are not.