Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Re: Finally Bringing Manchioneal Home

Quote Originally Posted by jrbrein View Post
    Robert,

Nice meeting with you while you were tied up in Atlantic Yacht Basin.

Aint life grand?

Jon
    Jon,

Good to meet you too.

Today was a beautiful day and we are home after a 53 mile run up the Potomac. Last night I was checking the alternator that wasn't charging, turned off the battery charger and forgot to turn it back on. This morning I was thankful for the battery parallel solenoid that we had installed a couple of weeks ago.

Thursday, coming out of Norfolk where the James River empties into the bay, was a strong beam sea. I caught waves that threw all the furniture to the starboard side of the salon. It was more of the same across the York and Mobjack Bay. There were times when I had the helm full lock counter steering. It's like I always tell people on our center console, the boat can take far more than you can. I was sore from the workout the next day. I'm still getting a feel for this boat. It doesn't like beam seas and it doesn't like quarterly following seas. It big and heavy, which goes a long way. It's certainly the most capable boat in heavier seas that I have had, but I can see there are a lot of conditions I just wouldn't want to be out in. I don't like catching big beam waves.

So much work and planning went into looking at boats, getting this boat in shape and preparing for the trip and now that it's done, Jean and I both feel a little out of sorts. It was a great adventure. We had a little bit of everything and now have a basis upon which we can think about what it's really like. I wasn't even sure I was going to like traveling at 10 mph. As it turns out, I love it. I wish I didn't't have to go back to work Monday. At one point today, I was talking to a contractor on the phone while we were coming up the Potomac, and the autopilot out of the blue starting making a hard turn to port. I think it was doing a 180. Maybe it feels the same way I do.

Through the trip, the one constant was that the engines never missed a beat. They are a couple of beautiful machines. No smoke, easy on oil and I thought the fuel burn was quite reasonable. I have come to think differently about buying diesel. It is a privilege because it means I'm using the boat.
    Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA

Re: Finally Bringing Manchioneal Home

WElcome home to all of you, and I hope you have many happy days on your new boat.