Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Finally Bringing Manchioneal Home

Save and sound in Wrightsville, tied up at the dock with the tanks topped up. Port Racor bowl was clear! A little debris in starboard.
    Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA

Congratulations Robert. Glad you had a good trip and got some water passing your keel safely. BTW
    I think your 43DC may have been my first Hatteras about 40 years ago. If you post some pictures of
    the wing doors and the galley I might be able to tell. Mine had a pair of 6-71 Jt's (310 hp ea) and a
    new generator was installed shortly before I sold the boat (8 kw Onan) Just curious, one of my dock
    mates also had a 73 model 43 DC. His had a hard enclosure for the aft deck and his HIM was close to
    mine. Oh and mine also had a custom made SS radar arch.

Walt

Thank you Walt. This has to be a different boat. No wing doors and Westerbeke installed in 2001. Currently running about 10 miles off shore in 2 - 4 foot swell at 12 mph. Port engine was not happy running at 15. We are 57 miles from Beaufort Inlet. It's really special out here.
    Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA

Made it to Oriental and changed Racors. Port had a fair amount of water and the filter looked pretty bad. Starboard not too bad. Long day. We're going out to dinner.
    Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA

Left Manteo at dawn. Heading for Portsmouth tonight. Currently in Albemarle Sound with rain, a strong tail wind and following seas. Dodging crab pots. Having issues with this and that, but these 671N's are beautiful.
    Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA

Quote Originally Posted by Jammin' View Post
    Left Manteo at dawn. Heading for Portsmouth tonight. Currently in Albemarle Sound with rain, a strong tail wind and following seas. Dodging crab pots. Having issues with this and that, but these 671N's are beautiful.
    Robert -

Best of luck!..... one half of the nor'easter coming up north is what you're experiencing...
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL

Wednesday afternoon heading for Portsmouth we missed the 3:00 pm opening of the Great Bridge Bridge and the next scheduled opening wasn't until 6:00 pm. We managed to get the travel lift slip with no power for the night at Atlantic Yacht Basin Marina and set out early Thursday to catch the 6:00 am bridge opening. Immediately after the bridge we got to go through our first lock. I f*cked up and didn't hold the boat off the edge of the lock got hung up as the water was released. I motored it off as the boat was tipping precipitously, pulling off a section of rub rail in the process. Oh well. Live and learn.When we got out onto the Chesapeake after Norfolk, conditions were bad. The stretch across the mouth of the York River and Mobjack Bay was like two hours of riding a mechanical bull. Heavy beam seas tossed us around badly. We are now aware of everything that wasn't fastened down. It was a real workout at the helm for me. We cut the day 10 miles short of our planned stop at Deltaville. We deserved the rest at that point.This morning we got out about 7:00 and conditions weren't great, but better than yesterday as we were now mostly heading into the seas. At least they were better until we approached the Potomac were things got rougher. When we rounded Smith Point I through in the towel and headed in to Smith Point Marina where we are tied up now. I couldn't take another 5 hour beating. Tomorrow is another day.This boat likes to travel at 10 mph (8.7 kts). Although my tachs are wildly inaccurate, that seems to be about 1400 rpm. I can run all day at 1900 rpm too and I gain between 1 and 2 mph. On our ocean day I ran 1900 rpm and got .84 mpg. The next two days I ran 10 mph at 1400 rpm and got 1.22 mpg. Yesterday we made 67 miles and I ran the engines up some and returned 1 mpg. In 46.5 hours of run time we have traveled about 400 miles and used two gallons of oil.The wind is supposed to subside tomorrow and we have a 53 mile run home.
    Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA

Sounds "fun"!

Sorry about the rail modification on the lock, but it sounds like the old girl is doing pretty good with fuel.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Every time I have been across the mouth of the Potomac it's been really choppy. Are you all home? Today was better I thought.

Robert,

Nice meeting with you while you were tied up in Atlantic Yacht Basin. You have really gotten a lot accomplished in the relatively short time that you have owned your boat.

Appreciate you providing us with your fuel consumption data since we have the same boat with 6-71 N's (J/T modified). Your 1973 boat is heavier than my 1982 boat but we are pretty close with those numbers.

She loves it between 8 - 10 knots (1400 - 1750 RPM) averaging just a tad over 1 nautical mile per gallon.

Aint life grand?

Jon
    Jonathan Brein
    1982 43' DCFB #550
    "Paragon"
    Chesapeake, Virginia