Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Re: Lower helm visibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    I ll try to say this nicely... aesthetics don’t matter much on houseboats so a pair of of rusty mirrors salvaged from cousin bubba Lee’s old 18 wheeler woudl be an easy solution
    The 85 footer I mentioned (worth at least triple what your 53MY is) actually had a pair off an old Jaguar E type, but they still worked.

Seriously, I've seen/used them on motor yachts, and they worked/looked fine. They have this amazing material called aluminum. Having them on folding brackets is the key as they're tucked out of the way when not in use.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Come to think of it, I think my old boat’s lower helm had the worst visibility of them all.

Back in the ‘90s I was single handing my boat (38’) south from Wrightsville Beach to Charleston. My friend, Jay, was following me in his similar sized boat. We were just south of Southport, NC when I had an emergency call of nature of the high and highly aggravated type; the kind you can’t ignore. We were on the ICW and, fortunately, on a Monday morning. The channel was narrow, the wind was blowing, and there was nowhere to stop without getting in the marsh. No time nor place to drop the hook. Desperate straits.

I left them both in-gear at idle and took off with the autopilot remote. On the way below, I grabbed a hand held and told my buddy to switch channels. I told him to close up with me and radio helm inputs. “Huh?!?”

“Yeah, really.” I mean this was a no-sh#%er except there was plenty.

So there I was, sitting on my Galley Maid flushable helm seat with the radio in one hand and the autopilot in the other driving the ICW. Every few seconds came a message, “Port a couple, Starboard a bit, copy,” etc. “You done yet?”

“Rooooger.” I was starting the feel better all round. I froze: “What was that?” I radioed.

“We just met a northbound trawler. You should’ve seen that guy’s face,” he radioed back. I’m glad Jay had the presence of mind not to tell me beforehand.

I’ve been laughing at that feat of piloting for twenty-five years. I used to be bulletproof.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    Come to think of it, I think my old boat’s lower helm had the worst visibility of them all.

Back in the ‘90s I was single handing my boat (38’) south from Wrightsville Beach to Charleston. My friend, Jay, was following me in his similar sized boat. We were just south of Southport, NC when I had an emergency call of nature of the high and highly aggravated type; the kind you can’t ignore. We were on the ICW and, fortunately, on a Monday morning. The channel was narrow, the wind was blowing, and there was nowhere to stop without getting in the marsh. No time nor place to drop the hook. Desperate straits.

I left them both in-gear at idle and took off with the autopilot remote. On the way below, I grabbed a hand held and told my buddy to switch channels. I told him to close up with me and radio helm inputs. “Huh?!?”

“Yeah, really.” I mean this was a no-sh#%er except there was plenty.

So there I was, sitting on my Galley Maid flushable helm seat with the radio in one hand and the autopilot in the other driving the ICW. Every few seconds came a message, “Port a couple, Starboard a bit, copy,” etc. “You done yet?”

“Rooooger.” I was starting the feel better all round. I froze: “What was that?” I radioed.

“We just met a northbound trawler. You should’ve seen that guy’s face,” he radioed back. I’m glad Jay had the presence of mind not to tell me beforehand.

I’ve been laughing at that feat of piloting for twenty-five years. I used to be bulletproof.
    That’s some funny $hit right there!

I keep a jug handy when I’m running solo, and I avoid greasy food. Luckily I’m a regular guy.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

A five gallon bucket and a roll of TP works well.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by Freeebird View Post
    That’s some funny $hit right there! I keep a jug handy when I’m running solo, and I avoid greasy food. Luckily I’m a regular guy.
    You know we fry our vegetables down here, right?
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Thanks for all the input.

I am well familiar with the regs and the requirement to keep a lookout which is why I started this thread to begin with. It also appears my suspicion was correct and that keeping watch abaft the beam suffers with the enclosed helm.

So stepping out every 30 seconds, cameras, radar, vhf and a pair of KW mirrors should keep me in compliance.

Seriously, I think the camera idea has a lot of merit. Anyone know of any affordable stabilized ones? Mounted solid in a seaway could be a motion sickness inducing viewing experience.....

And yes I too have left the helm to go below and do some quick business. At idle. Got back topside just in time for a hard over around a 1/4 miles long fishing net.......
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Oscar....how many years now you've been "seeking"? I think I've gone through 3 or 4 boats in that period.
    Seriously...get off the couch and step away from the keyboard and pick a boat.....any boat. Mistakes can be corrected with "delete".
    Many opinions....few decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    You know we fry our vegetables down here, right?
    Vegetables?

I’ve heard of those.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post

So stepping out every 30 seconds, cameras, radar, vhf and a pair of KW mirrors should keep me in compliance.
    If nothing else, it should keep you in great shape. You can name your boat, "Hattaerobics".

In the immortal words of Sgt. Hulka, lighten up, Oscar. You're looking at a boat, not a battleship.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by Bugsy View Post
    Oscar....how many years now you've been "seeking"? I think I've gone through 3 or 4 boats in that period.
    Seriously...get off the couch and step away from the keyboard and pick a boat.....any boat. Mistakes can be corrected with "delete".
    Many opinions....few decisions.
    Wait, you mean someone is challenging Krush and I for the record for taking the longest to buy a boat?