Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Lower helm visibility.

We're getting closer. Not quite there yet, but closer. As we surf YW we keep coming back to the Hatts. Major factor is, of course, layout, specifically galley up, galley down. Aside from the livability which is personal and an endless discussion I don't really want to start there's the following:

On the 53/58 with galley down visibility from the lower helm is good. Lots of big windows, almost 360º. A few dead spots towards the stern, but one or two steps and you can cover them.

On the galley up (58 or 58 LRC) and ED's with bulkheads between lower helm and salon not so much.

How big of a factor is this? Are you opening side doors every 2 minutes to scan behind?

Yes I know you don't have these problems from the fly bridge, but we intend to (and have in the past) extend the season and be on the water when it's cold, and of course there's the hot days on the bay where inside and AC will be one of the reasons we're giving up the open cockpit of a sail boat for a power boat.

Any input is appreciated....
    Last edited by oscarvan; 10-08-2019 at 11:25 PM.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Re: Lower helm visibility.

Who cares what’s behind you?

Seriously, short of docking stern in, it’s really not an issue IMO. You can always install cameras if that bugs you. Even when there’s no bulkhead behind you, your view is very limited. You also have radar (I assume) if you want to keep track of what’s coming up behind you.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Oscar, I understand your concern. I sold my 1982 48 MY to my Niece and her husband and they are
    not happy with the rear view while backing into the slip. It is a single station (flying bridge) boat. They
    installed a couple of camera's but were still not happy. I convinced them to install an extra set of shift
    and throttle controls in the aft cockpit for use in backing into the slip. It's a fairly simple fix for not a
    lot of money. The 53 without the pilothouse bulk head is not too bad. My former 43 DC's were wonderful
    because I had 360 deg visibility from the lower station and the boat behaved very well while docking.

Walt

Hi Oscarvan,

Good luck with your hunting. We also came back to an older Hatteras time and time again

I steer downstairs in my crowded mooring bay. Once another moored boat is past the wheelhouse door I forget about it and move on to the next obstacle.

I can reverse side onto the T of a marina without issue and without thrusters. This does require me to look out the wheelhouse doors and also to view from the rear door if space to the next boat is limited. So you can do all this yourself.

It is possible to back up to a marina jetty, but only from the flybridge with my wife standing on the rear flybridge edge signalling the number of metres with her fingers. I would love to have a pair of rear controls, but would have only used them twice in four years.

A swing mooring is much easier than a berth and boat only needs yourself.
    Last edited by scottinsydney; 10-09-2019 at 01:20 AM.
    +++
    1984 61MY #353 with 9' cockpit extension.
    Sydney, Australia.

Thanks for the responses. I should have been more clear, this is not about docking or fixed objects. This is about being underway and faster moving traffic coming up the stern. I guess radar is indeed the answer.....
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    Thanks for the responses. I should have been more clear, this is not about docking or fixed objects. This is about being underway and faster moving traffic coming up the stern. I guess radar is indeed the answer.....
    Radar is an answer, not THE answer. If there is a THE answer, it would be situational awareness. You are required to maintain a visual lookout and by any other means available. Radar is decidedly two-dimensional. It can't tell you if the boats coming up behind you are LE or are driven by reckless or impaired operators, for example. Often, boats behind you need to know you know they're there to gauge each other's intentions in tight situations. Even if you are in the right, you are not absolved of responsibility for what the other guy does--especially if you aren't fully aware of the building situation. You wouldn't drive a car without a rearview mirror. So maybe it'd be a good idea to take measures to be aware of your surroundings for your own protection.

Any navigational device's manual will tell you on page 1 to not depend solely on one input for navigation. The recent spate of US Navy collisions more than justifies the foregoing.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC