Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need Advice re Canvas Support Structure

The canvas that covers the entire upper level of our boat (53' Extended Deckhouse model) needs to be waterproofed.

We were advised to use 303 Marine Fabric Guard.

Since I am trying to do this myself and there are some challenges to cleaning and treating the canvas in place, I was going to remove it and do the work on the dock.

The first set screw I tried to loosen will not budge. I tried some others that loosened up easily, but the first one is really in there solidly.

I have tried a couple different allen wrenches and they seem as though they are getting ready to twist or perhaps break, but the screw has not budged.

I am considering taking a fine torch to the area to see if I can break it loose that way, but I wanted to ask you folks if there might be any sort of sleeve in the tubing or any other reason I should not apply a limited amount of heat to this fitting.

A photo of the fitting I am trying to loosen follows. (I would remove the cloth and the plastic piece above the fitting prior to heating the fitting!)

IMG_1462.jpg

Thanks for any advice,
    Nick
    1984 53' Extended Deckhouse
    "Laissez Faire"
    Delivered 1-1-86 (per Sam's)
    Hull #CN737
    Sausalito, CA

Re: Need Advice re Canvas Support Structure

You can try PB Blaster, or Kroil, etc. You could try heat, first, but I think you'll end up drilling it out and retapping it for a larger setscrew.

I agree with Jim, drill and tap in a larger set drew will be easier. By the way there should not be a sleeve in there.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

It's probably a SS set screw (maybe not 316) but whatever grade, SS generally gets very hot during
    machining operations including drilling. With that in mind, I usually use a left hand twist drill bit. Very
    often partway through the drilling operation, the set screw releases it's hold and comes right out attached
    to the drill bit. You should not have much trouble finding left twist drill bits. Be sure you buy a good
    quality drill bit, not Harbor Freight (if they even have left handed drills). My choice is to try to get one
    made with Cobalt.

Walt

Thanks!

Penetrating oil while I look for a left hand drill bit. (I used to have a set, but with a sudden move and changes of plans that resulted in the move to the boat and putting stuff in storage in another state, I don't know what I still have or where it all is!)

Some heat just in case that actually works...

Thanks for the suggestions. I will report back how things go.

Nick
    "Laissez Faire"
    Hull #CN737
    Sausalito, CA

Well...Reporting Back...

1) Penetrating oil didn't loosen it up.
    2) Heating it didn't seem to help at all.
    3) I tried to use an Allen wrench and shortening the length to just enough to get into the set screw - so that there was not as much twisting of the shaft of the wrench...didn't work.

4) So I got a screw extractor. That was making no progress either...then I must have put a little sideways torque on the tool and it broke off just above the surface of the set screw. Now both the set screw and the tip of the screw extractor are part of the fitting.

...I will pursue other methods of disassembly of the top frame.

Sometimes simple jobs just seem to be out to frustrate you!

Nick
    "Laissez Faire"
    Hull #CN737
    Sausalito, CA

Nick, file it flat then center punch it, drill it out to a larger size set screw. Easy pezey
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by Nick in Manitou View Post
    Well...Reporting Back...1) Penetrating oil didn't loosen it up. 2) Heating it didn't seem to help at all.3) I tried to use an Allen wrench and shortening the length to just enough to get into the set screw - so that there was not as much twisting of the shaft of the wrench...didn't work.4) So I got a screw extractor. That was making no progress either...then I must have put a little sideways torque on the tool and it broke off just above the surface of the set screw. Now both the set screw and the tip of the screw extractor are part of the fitting....I will pursue other methods of disassembly of the top frame. Sometimes simple jobs just seem to be out to frustrate you!Nick
    Looks like you’ll have to grind it flat and try again. Were you able to get it really hot? Are you able to put acetylene on it? If so, heat around it as much as you dare and then put a stick of paraffin on the head. When cool it may release—SS is just tough. Or...just cut it off with a side grinder.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Drilling an EZ-out with a hand held drill is never easy! And I doubt you will be able to center punch it either. If it was me, I would be reaching for a grinder and the thinnest cutting disc I could find. Perhaps a Dremel tool? The fitting is probably history at this point, but you want to save the tube.
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht
    1986 model launched in August 1987

When I run across a tough set screw I use a small slotted screwdriver with a square shank and tap it in tight then use a small adjustable wrench on the shank.
    ENUFF. 1983 53MY.Hull #617 Barnegat Light Nj.