Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Engine Issues

Jackman Guest

Re: Electronic engines

I fully agree on the electronics argument. There have been a few times when my boat had issues offshore and I was able to fix it because of being carbed and no electronics to deal with. Well....where does that leave me then? A set of new, not rebuilt, crusaders not less than 454? What choices do I have in diesel with minimal electronics?

Tyco Guest

Tough Choice

At 32', you really don't NEED diesels.

My vote would be to look into the new Crusader 496 gas engines at 385hp. Heard some good reports on the design and it would be far cheaper that converting. The bolt configuration should be similar so the swap involves minimal pain.

Good Luck.

Jackman Guest

Re: Tough Choice

If I decided to go with something like the 496 do they offer it without fuel injection? I'm probably set on carbs if I go gas because I can fix the issues that arrise with a carb. Less electronics, less unfixable problems. Would the 496 be able to use the same cooling system "plumbing"? I'm sure I'd have to buy manifolds and risers but what about the diameter of the cooling system? Will the current 4in suffice?

Jackman Guest

Re: Tough Choice

One more thing....I'm thinking about staying away from high output engines since I think they tend to "live" less than engines that aren't stressed. The 496 is HO isn't it? Is it the same block as the 454 just bored larger? If so, what about the "more metal longer life" rule of thumb when it comes to choosing an engine?

Genesis Guest

More metal, longer life....

.... is indeed a good rule of thumb.

If you're happy with the performance of the boat as it stands, I'd replace what you have. Much less pain than screwing around with a conversion.

The pain comes if you're NOT happy with what you have now in terms of performance....

mikep996 Guest

engines

The 385HP version of the 496 is not an HO engine and should be expected to have a good service life based on HP/CID ratio. My information, which may not be totally up-to-date, is that it is available only with EFI.

I would seriously consider rebuilding your present 454 engines. A GOOD engine rebuilder can produce an engine that is better in every respect than a new "factory" engine. Of course, finding a GOOD rebuilder, as opposed to a jakeleg boat "mechanic" might take a bit of research. But the result will be a more powerful and efficient engine because all the internal specs and clearances will be at optimum instead of the slop of factory plus/minus specs.

Here's a personal example: Brand new 454 CID engine produced 408HP on the dyno; engine was disassembled and rebuilt to optimum clearances - 510HP on same dyno! No aftermarket parts or modifications. The primary "changes" consisted of ensuring correct piston ring gap, bearing clearances, true cylinder bores, a proper valve job on the cylinder heads, and degreeing in the camshaft. Compression in the original engine varied nearly 20 PSI from High to low cylinder which is well within "specs." Rebuilt engine compression variation was within one increment on the compression gauge which is calibrated in 2PSI increments!

Don't be afraid of rebuilt engines; but do be afraid of marina mechanics!

Jackman Guest

Re: engines

Mike,

I'm told by the Crusader distributor that LH and RH motors are not made anymore in their motors and that in order to use the new crusader engines that I'd have to buy new trannies as well. Any input on that? I'd have to get rid of my Borg Warner trannies and get Hurth gears.

jim rosenthal Guest

rebuilding engines

If you have fresh-water cooled motors it does make sense to rebiuld them as LH/RH pairs are not offered now. You may have a problem finding RH replacement parts like cams ignition starters etc. An engine built by a good machine shop will always be better than a crate motor, no question. You may find that it is not any cheaper. The rebuilds should be done by a machine shop, not the marina mechanics who do the engines in their shop. Good luck.

mikep996 Guest

Rebuilds

I personally prefer rebuilt engines anyway. But I had forgotten we were talking about LH/RH engines which, as was pointed out, are not even available in current offerings. Therefore, I strongly recommend you have the present engines rebuilt and not have to deal with new tranny issues. The old trannys can be rebuilt as well but if they have been well-cared for, they probably don't really need it. I'd decide this issue based on how they are performing, whether there are any leaks, and whether the fluid is nice and red (as opposed to brown with a burnt odor). However, despite their condition, it would be hard to argue against a recommendation to rebuild the trannys at the same time.

Tyco Guest

I'll change my vote...

to rebuilding your 454's. If your current tranny's are good, best to stick with them and not go messing with rotational modifications.