Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Removal of State Room Door Jamb

I'm installing a new washer and dryer in my 1976 58 LRC. I've got the old Kenmore All-In-One unit out by separating them and dissecting the washer. I'll post up a new thread on that whole process.... BUT... right now I'm trying to find the "least destructive" haul path for the new units... they will be separate and then stacked.

Right now it looks like the best path is to bring them in the forward state room hatch. However, the state room door is too narrow.... however it would be wide enough if I removed the door jamb...

Anyone done this before without demolishing the jamb?
    Attached Images
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL

Re: Removal of State Room Door Jamb

The door jam is glued on..and nailed. It won't come off without a fight. If you go that route, cut thru the surrounding veneer with a utility knife to minimize damage. I'm not familiar with your boat, but the Bosch Axxis units fit through my pilothouse door and hallway.
    Last edited by dottieshusband; 10-05-2019 at 01:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dottieshusband View Post
    The door jam is glued on..and nailed. It won't come off without a fight. If you go that route, cut thru the surrounding veneer with a utility knife to minimize damage. I'm not familiar with your boat, but the Bosch Axxis units fit through my pilothouse door and hallway.
    Thanks for the response.....

I'm going with ASKO and they are very close to same dimensions (H x W x D) as the Bosch Axxis. I can get the unit through the pilot house door... however on the 58 LRC it has to go down a spiral set of stairs from the pilot

house... which it may or may not make the turn. I'm going to mock up a cardboard box and do a dry run and determine if I can get it down the stairs.... if not... I will be tackling the door jamb.

At least I have a marine carpenter that says if I "destroy" the door jamb, he can re-make the jamb for me.

IMG_3536.jpg

Last edited by JD5652; 10-05-2019 at 06:29 PM.
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL

Don't know if it's the same size stairway, but I also went down the 1/4 spiral steps to the landing, then down the 3 steps to the hall, removed the facia where the thin twin was, and in with the new units.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by dottieshusband; 10-06-2019 at 10:00 AM.

We just put in the Asko units and so far are very happy with them. Was the only one we could find with a vented outside dryer, which in my opinion is the only kind to have. John gods luck with the install on our 53 they came down the forward hatch luckily.
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

After careful inspection and some prodding with a putty knife ... I figured out that the hinge side of the forward state room door jamb was screwed in from the back side of the door jamb with brass screws.... I cut the brass screws with my Fein Tool... it was NOT glued to the wall... will have to cut the jamb at floor level and about 48" above floor level to remove the main part of the jamb... this should allow me to just ease the washer and dryer through the door... they are 23.5" wide and the door without that part of the jamb is 24" wide....

IMG_3551.jpg
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL

On my 58MY, I removed the trim around the forward hatch and dropped each piece (Bosch Axxis washer and matching dryer - stacking units) down the hatch. During my ownership, I got the pleasure of doing that TWICE. That was easier to me than the door jams.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

I am getting ready to purchase new washer dryer and was wondering if anyone has looked at the Samsung DVE22N6850X dryer and matching washer WW22N6850QX.

Found them here
    https://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/SAWADREIG2.html

I have the same clearance issues on my 61 CMY getting them down the stairs in the galley and companionway, but these look like they will fit as they are only 23 5/8" wide. Any reason no ne has mentioned these units?

Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    On my 58MY, I removed the trim around the forward hatch and dropped each piece (Bosch Axxis washer and matching dryer - stacking units) down the hatch. During my ownership, I got the pleasure of doing that TWICE. That was easier to me than the door jams.
    Angela-

I plan to do the same as in removing the forward hatch trim and bringing the washer and dryer down through the hatch. However, the smallest dimension on the washer and/or dryer is 23.5 inches. My laundry closet on the 58 LRC is located down the companionway from the forward state room just outside the engine room. Therefore, the washer and dryer has to go thorugh the forward state room door and down the companionway.

The doorway opening without removing the door jamb is 22.5"... If I remove one side of the door jamb, that gives me 24" opening ... just enough to get the washer and dryer through the doorway and into the companionway.
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL

Quote Originally Posted by rourkeh View Post
    I am getting ready to purchase new washer dryer and was wondering if anyone has looked at the Samsung DVE22N6850X dryer and matching washer WW22N6850QX.

Found them here
    https://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/SAWADREIG2.html

I have the same clearance issues on my 61 CMY getting them down the stairs in the galley and companionway, but these look like they will fit as they are only 23 5/8" wide. Any reason no ne has mentioned these units?
    One of my primary requirements was that the dryer be a vented design. I see that the Samsung dryer is also vented. A couple main reasons I went with ASKO was that they do offer the vented dryer configuration and, when stacked, the overall dimensions were closest to the overall dimensions of my old Kenmore All-In-One laundry center. This afforded me installation with minimal modifications to the existing supports and area.
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL