Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Northeast, Florida or, Freshwater. Would you have a preference when buying?

Northeast, Great lakes, Florida or, Freshwater. Would you have a preference when buying a boat? Not considering the cost to move would you look or prefer one location to find your boat or would it matter to you? I hear positives and negatives of all types. Thanks
    Eddie Clemons Nashville, TN Southern Pride 1988 52CHATCS441K788 2004 Caterpillar 3406e's

Re: Northeast, Florida or, Freshwater. Would you have a preference when buying?

I have a 1986 MY that has experienced Northeast, freshwater, and Florida with prior owners. I have owned the boat for 9 years and it came with impeccable records from the prior owners of all modifications and repairs.

I offer a third variable to consider. Homeport service.

Boats that have lived in South Florida (Fort Lauderdale particularly) are better maintained. The marine tech community there is probably the best in the world and their availability and skilled work shows itself years later. I live in Tampa and the opposite is true. I suspect places with even fewer old boats have less skilled marine tech availability.

So, if I were boat shopping again, the due diligence would focus on where and who has worked on the boat. The more work done by companies still in business that stand behind their work should be an important factor SO LONG AS YOUR WIFE LOVES THE BOAT TOO.

Bruce

Freestyle
    1986 62 CPMY (54 MY with 8 foot cockpit ext.)
    Tampa

Every boat has its positives and negatives. Every location too.

Focus on the boat. A well kept vessel is a well kept vessel. I dont care about who or where it was done.

There is no magic answer to your question. Find a good boat I. Your area or a broker that can do the leg work.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Freestyle View Post

I offer a third variable to consider. Homeport service.

Freestyle
    1986 62 CPMY (54 MY with 8 foot cockpit ext.)
    Tampa
    Great concept. I'm wondering what the heck I'm going to do now that we are moving our boat from Little River, SC to Colonial Beach, VA next week. I have had really great people working on the boat in Little River, so much so that I hesitate to move it because there's much more to do. Colonial Beach is a desert in that regard, as far as I can see.
    Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA

Nothing is better than freshwater, but as Bruce said, it boils down to maintenance. That point aside, I'm not so sure home port maintenance means much in terms of anyone standing behind anything if you're taking it out of the hood.

Freshwater boats, especially Great Lakes boats, will bring a premium because they are kept in freshwater and generally see lower use with a shorter season. Given you're looking primarily at convertibles, your freshwater options will be limited. You'll definitely find some ragged out, Florida boats that have had too much fun in the salt and sun.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

I think sun exposure and year round exposure is worst than salt water. Fiberglass and quality hardware doesnt really suffer from salt exposure.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Problem is that Fla, especially So Fla gets all of the above. Salt water, sun exposure and year round
    use. Of course there are many south Fla boats that are well taken care of, but a Great Lakes boat that
    has short season use, much shorter exposure to strong sunshine and fresh water is much more likely
    to be nicer. Many GL boats are stored indoors for the winter as well IMO is a bonus. We don't need to
    look further than Sky's 53 MY as a good example. If I were in the market for another boat (which I am
    not) I would probably scour the Great Lakes first. I understand that they may cost a little more but as
    the old saying goes "pay me now or pay me later"

Walt

All other things being equal, boats from the Great Lakes are cleaner and have less hours on them than any others I've seen. They have a short season and frequently keep them indoors during the off season.

Not to be a pot stirrer but GL based boats have an issue you seem to be forgetting - airborne pollution and acid rain. Not too much an issue with later model boats but 60, 70 and 80's vintage boat can show the cumulative effect.

Having just shopped 1980-1989 53-63' non ED Hatts under $325,000 I can tell you that most of the boats on the market right now (north and south) are very similar in hours and price. Condition is the big difference. We have looked at almost every boat on the GL and TN/KY and couldn't find one that fit the bill. We winter in FLL so looking there was our back up plan. Well we found a 60' that was in better shape then anything that's currently listed in the above parameters. We will know next week the final say from the surveyors.
    True, northern boats have a half life because of the short season but it did seem that the boats down south more often than not had a pro running and maintaining them.
    We weren't scared of salt water boats (these are built in and made for salt water) but the trick is to find one taken care of. For us the biggest issue going south was the expense to bring it north. True its a great opportunity to use the boat but it is a big time and money hog for someone not retired, or independent wealthy. Just our 2 pennies.
    Feel free to reach out if you want info on any of the boats we looked at.