Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
Closed Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Re: Beach party in Bimini Bahamas 2of2

Ja. Why I brought it up.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Once again an un-inspected vessel with an un-licensed captain. Frustrating for those trying to play by the rules.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

See my reply in the other thread. Actually if you operate has a REAL bareboat, with every t and I crossed and dotted, a bareboat charter doesn’t require a captains license. Now obviously no underwriter is going to allow anything over 40/50’ to operate as a charter without a licensed captain.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4890...936/?ref=share
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    See my reply in the other thread. Actually if you operate has a REAL bareboat, with every t and I crossed and dotted, a bareboat charter doesn’t require a captains license. Now obviously no underwriter is going to allow anything over 40/50’ to operate as a charter without a licensed captain.

I think they were harder on that guy because it was a Sea Ray.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

How hard is it to get your 100 ton license and obtain all the proper certification and inspections?

I mean if there are gobs of money to be made taking 20 somethings for bikini rides, just get the proper credentials and carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by Passages View Post
    How hard is it to get your 100 ton license and obtain all the proper certification and inspections?

I mean if there are gobs of money to be made taking 20 somethings for bikini rides, just get the proper credentials and carry on.
    Ask Ang what’s involved in bringing a 58’ Hatt to the level of USCG inspected vessel. It’s not just getting a sticker. The Master license is no big deal if you have the sea time to qualify.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by Passages View Post

The master is a piece of cake. Bringing a boat to inspected vessel standard is very costly. It includes replacing all the railings to 43 or 45”, fireproofing the ER walls and ceiling, submitting stability study and a lot more. The costs are very high and are unlikely to be recouped with an older boat which will not get high enough charter rates.

charter customers want newer boats... older boats will charter but at much lower rates and with lower rates come bottom of the barrel clientele. The kind of people you don’t want on board

But what do I know.... only been doing charters for about 15 years. We don’t do day charters anymore and the boat i run is over 100GT anyway so we wouldn’t have to resort to bareboat. Before, with a 70 we had to, and believe me when I say that when the USCG charter unit boards you, you d better have all your paperwork in order incl two contracts. And yes these guys know what s advertised on line like when a broker advertise a fully inclusive charter for 12...

Oh... and the US attorney’s office won’t have any problem digging to find the real owner of a vessel... incl where the money came from, who pays the bills, etc.
    Last edited by Pascal; 10-22-2019 at 12:16 AM.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post

That's correct. If your vessel is not a Coast Guard Inspected Vessel, which allows for more than 6 person charter, most insurance companies won't insure you with charter insurance for more than 6 passengers because once you exceed 6 passengers, IT'S NOT A CHARTER. It's a bareboat and the owner relinquishes ownership of the vessel to the charterer who is responsible for all materials to operate it (the crew, insurance, fuel, stores, etc.)
    MASTERPLAN MIAMI
    1975 58 Ft. Yacht Fish
    8V71TI
    HULL # 396
    www.YouTube.com/MASTERPLANMIAMI

Adventure Awaits

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    Once again an un-inspected vessel with an un-licensed captain. Frustrating for those trying to play by the rules.
    ? Are you referring to the MASTERPLAN as being uninspected and me as being unlicensed?
    MASTERPLAN MIAMI
    1975 58 Ft. Yacht Fish
    8V71TI
    HULL # 396
    www.YouTube.com/MASTERPLANMIAMI

Adventure Awaits

Quote Originally Posted by MASTERPLAN MIAMI View Post
    ? Are you referring to the MASTERPLAN as being uninspected and me as being unlicensed?
    Sure looked that way to me, but he’s only half right... which is actually good for him.

Just out of curiosity, what other boats did you own/operate to get the sea time for your master?

Were you a member of the Biscayne Bay circle club too?
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93