Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Re: Beach party in Bimini Bahamas 2of2

These marginally powered boats don’t make the same speeds offshore in sea conditions as they do in the shallow water ditch. Doesn’t take much of a swell or sea conditions to knock them off plane. In these days of map plotters and point A to point B mentality sometimes you need to alter course for sea conditions to keep the passengers happy
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    These marginally powered boats don’t make the same speeds offshore in sea conditions as they do in the shallow water ditch. Doesn’t take much of a swell or sea conditions to knock them off plane. In these days of map plotters and point A to point B mentality sometimes you need to alter course for sea conditions to keep the passengers happy
    Quickest way to make a trip miserable for everybody onboard is to turn beam sea. A little tacking will make the trip MUCH more enjoyable and wont' add too much time to the trip. You may even be able to plane out going a certain direction.

Oldest charter capt trick in the book. When the capt's ready to go to the hill just turn the boat beam sea and when everybody starts yacking they will be begging him to head in.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

Unless you have stabilizers, then a beam sea is preferred.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    Unless you have stabilizers, then a beam sea is preferred.
    I can't even wrap my mind around that. Never been on a stabilized boat. Been on lots of unstabilized ones in beam seas. Didn't enjoy it one bit.

Maybe some day I'll catch a stabilized ride...

Was recently off the coast of San Francisco with beam seas 10 to 13 foot swells, 6 to 8 foot waves, 25kt to 30kt winds hitting the port side in a stabilized boat. You still feel it but the roll is not horrible. Very wet ride with water almost coming through the salon door.
    Looking for a 80 plus foot yacht
    Hatteras of Cheoy Lee

Quote Originally Posted by MASTERPLAN MIAMI View Post
    Thank you all for the comments and advise. This journey has just begun for us.
    How much are the charters helping to offset the costs of ownership? You find it worth the hassle?

https://miamicruiseyachtcharter.com/index.php/about/
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Quote Originally Posted by q240z View Post
    I can't even wrap my mind around that. Never been on a stabilized boat. Been on lots of unstabilized ones in beam seas. Didn't enjoy it one bit.

Maybe some day I'll catch a stabilized ride...
    The difference between a stabilized ride and unstabilized is amazing. During the pre-purchase sea trial, owner turns to me and asks how's the ride? 'Fine'

He then turns off the Stabs and we on the bridge immediately become much less comfortable. After 30 seconds or so he reactivates stabs and the boat smooths right out.

Still can't understand how it works. Must be witchcraft.

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post

Chubb Cay? Yuck... been there once and that was enough. If we need to stop in the area we anchor on the other side off Bird. Bird has an abandoned house at the north end which is fun to visit, still plenty of 60s stuff in there, like a time capsule
    Wife loved the infinity pool and swim up bar. What can I say?

OK... the bareboat charter trick. Careful, CG is getting tired of these games in your parts.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    OK... the bareboat charter trick. Careful, CG is getting tired of these games in your parts.
    Perfectly legal if someone else runs the boat. As it is now, he’s begging for problems with the Coasties.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93