Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Re: Beach party in Bimini Bahamas 2of2

Hmmmm. My yachtfish will do 14+ at 1950. Maybe you need a little tuning or bottom cleaning.......or less beer😂
    John
    1981 58 Yachtfish Hull 477
    Wickford RI

A 58 YF should just get on plane and cruise around 15/16 although in swells it may be a bit underpowered. Are your trim tabs working? Clean bottom?
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    A 58 YF should just get on plane and cruise around 15/16 although in swells it may be a bit underpowered. Are your trim tabs working? Clean bottom?
    Umm. I don't like to contradict anyone who might know better than me but.....

My factory RPM's are 2200 as far as I know. I try not to run over 1700 for long runs. I've gotten up to 20 MPH top speed after bottom cleaning, balanced shafts and props and new bearings and packing glands. Before all that, my top speed was 14 MPH.

Secondly, I've never heard of a 58 ft yacht fish plaining as it has a semi-plaining/displacement hull. I could be wrong and would love to hear more.
    MASTERPLAN MIAMI
    1975 58 Ft. Yacht Fish
    8V71TI
    HULL # 396
    www.YouTube.com/MASTERPLANMIAMI

Adventure Awaits

My yachtfish planes at 14knts. My WOT is 2350, as is yours if you have the 8v71ti’s. I had her up over 18 knots at WOT.
    John
    Wickford RI

And at 1950 these engines will run all day long and love it. That’s about 82% of top end. And these boats definitely plane. You can feel it come up on mine right around 14knts.
    John
    Wickford RI

Quote Originally Posted by MASTERPLAN MIAMI View Post
    Umm. I don't like to contradict anyone who might know better than me but.....

My factory RPM's are 2200 as far as I know. I try not to run over 1700 for long runs. I've gotten up to 20 MPH top speed after bottom cleaning, balanced shafts and props and new bearings and packing glands. Before all that, my top speed was 14 MPH.

Secondly, I've never heard of a 58 ft yacht fish plaining as it has a semi-plaining/displacement hull. I could be wrong and would love to hear more.
    The boat was designed to plane. A semi-displacement hull will plane with enough power. Most marinized Detroits have a max WOT of 2500rpm no load(plate on the engine will tell you), and 2350rpm loaded. If you can't make 2350, you have engine or prop issues. And Detroits love to run. Run them up. 2150 rpm all day is fine. And that should get you 16-17kts, mine does. (btw, mph is for land vehicles)
    Last edited by SKYCHENEY; 10-01-2019 at 09:32 PM.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

My 1978 58YF planes between 14 & 15 knots.

Definitely do Great Harbour Cay for the old Bahama island feel. The Exumas are the greatest.

I have stabilizers and will not leave Florida with strong wind from the northeast. Wait for a nicer day.
    Tomrealest@aol.com
    Needs, Wants & Desires
    1978 58 Hatteras Yachtfish
    SEA 21
    1974 46C #313 Hatteras Convertible

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    The boat was designed to plane. A semi-displacement hull will plane with enough power. Most marinized Detroits have a max WOT of 2500rpm no load(plate on the engine will tell you), and 2350rpm loaded. If you can't make 2350, you have engine or prop issues. And Detroits love to run. Run them up. 2150 rpm all day is fine. And that should get you 16-17kts, mine does. (btw, mph is for land vehicles)
    Thank you. My old lady won't do that right now. Time to get the mech a nick out here. Thanks again.
    MASTERPLAN MIAMI
    1975 58 Ft. Yacht Fish
    8V71TI
    HULL # 396
    www.YouTube.com/MASTERPLANMIAMI

Adventure Awaits

You need to turn rated rpm which in your case is 2300 to 2350. If you only turn 2200 you re overloading the engines.

These boats do get on plane but only at cruise RPM, probably 1900, and need clean running gear and bottom. You need monthly cleaning by a diver.

Also your trim tabs need to work. Make sure they do. The stock trim tabs are marginal so full down is a must.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Passages View Post
    X2 on the Berry's. Spent 2 weeks exploring with Family.

We did 1 overnight at Bimini after checking in. Next morning took the north route to Great Harbour Cay. Arrived on a Friday and that evening their was a cool little festival at the marina with locals. Locals are very friendly and happy to engage. Rented a golf cart to visit some awesome beaches which we had to ourselves.

Then anchored at Soldiers Cay, Devils Cay , explored the Blue Hole at Hoffmans (bucket list item for everyone) . Took dingy over to Great Galding Cay - the closest thing to Gilligans Island I've ever seen. Finally spent 2 days at Chub Cay just to empty my wallet of any leftover vacation funds.

Yeah, You gotta do the Berry's.

The blue hole at Hoffman is a must visit

Chubb Cay? Yuck... been there once and that was enough. If we need to stop in the area we anchor on the other side off Bird. Bird has an abandoned house at the north end which is fun to visit, still plenty of 60s stuff in there, like a time capsule
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat