Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Beach party in Bimini Bahamas 2of2

Staying in Bimini was a blast. We ended up relaxing with some friends and ended up at a beach party. The Hatteras doesn't seem great for making this crossing though. The trip home was nice and pretty smooth overall but the first trip over and back was crappy. This girl rolls like there's no coming back. Wendy was hurling for 7 hrs. Tanks were dirty so one engine quit on us about 20 miles out. The second time was better but still not great. Not sure we'll be going back across with MASTERPLAN. Maybe another boat. Time to go shopping.

Check out our latest video. If you like it and our story, feel free to subscribe and follow along.

https://youtu.be/s7UVn1xqRLc

Thanks
    Beach-party-in-bimini-thumb.jpg
    MASTERPLAN MIAMI
    1975 58 Ft. Yacht Fish
    8V71TI
    HULL # 396
    www.YouTube.com/MASTERPLANMIAMI

Adventure Awaits

Re: Beach party in Bimini Bahamas 2of2

At least Bimini faired well enough (I Guess). Zoom in to see how the Abacos did.

https://google.org/crisismap/google....elbSKSuj4Fn1YQ
    Regards
    Dan

Were you planing or moving at Hull speed. If can get her to 14-15knts she won’t roll. But yes, with a beam sea no stabs and hull speed her roll is impressive!
    John
    1981 58 Yachtfish Hull 477
    Wickford RI

Quote Originally Posted by johnjen50 View Post
    Were you planing or moving at Hull speed. If can get her to 14-15knts she won’t roll. But yes, with a beam sea no stabs and hull speed her roll is impressive!
    15 Knts is pretty much full speed. I don't push her that hard for that long.
    MASTERPLAN MIAMI
    1975 58 Ft. Yacht Fish
    8V71TI
    HULL # 396

Adventure Awaits

Any unstabilized MY is going to roll with beam seas, or quartering seas. not much you can do about it. What was the wind on the trip over? These Hatteras hulls will Cut thru heads seas very well but you still have to pick the day to cross. Anything north of due east and over 15 is pretty much no go for me, even in bigger boats. Wind against current just results in short tall waves once you hit the stream

Went back to the Abacos with another boat full of supplies last week and the ride from Miami to West End wasn’t fun even in a stabilized 84 footer thanks to 15 kts NE plus some swells.

Get those tanks polished. I used Riverside Fuel to polish my tanks during the repower. Hadn’t been done in 20+ years and the boat had sat with old fuel for 5 years.

As to BIM... it s not worth going anymore. Over crowded, dirty, bulldozed and concreted over. That beach you show in the video with hundred of people used to be pristine and lined with pines. Now, you may as well just go to SoBe or Crandon. Yuck.

And it s going to get worst with Virgin Cruises soon bringing their cattle ships on that Resort World Pier and building a beach club...
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Any unstabilized MY is going to roll with beam seas, or quartering seas. not much you can do about it. What was the wind on the trip over? These Hatteras hulls will Cut thru heads seas very well but you still have to pick the day to cross. Anything north of due east and over 15 is pretty much no go for me, even in bigger boats. Wind against current just results in short tall waves once you hit the stream

Went back to the Abacos with another boat full of supplies last week and the ride from Miami to West End wasn’t fun even in a stabilized 84 footer thanks to 15 kts NE plus some swells.

Get those tanks polished. I used Riverside Fuel to polish my tanks during the repower. Hadn’t been done in 20+ years and the boat had sat with old fuel for 5 years.

As to BIM... it s not worth going anymore. Over crowded, dirty, bulldozed and concreted over. That beach you show in the video with hundred of people used to be pristine and lined with pines. Now, you may as well just go to SoBe or Crandon. Yuck.

And it s going to get worst with Virgin Cruises soon bringing their cattle ships on that Resort World Pier and building a beach club...
    Hey thanks for your comments. I agree 100%. It was rough going over. We did have the tanks polished before we went the second time but even in fairly smooth seas, the wifey is not a happy camper. I also agree about the decline in Bimini. Now that I've taken my wife twice, I think we're done with that. Next time we cross, it's for a long haul.
    MASTERPLAN MIAMI
    1975 58 Ft. Yacht Fish
    8V71TI
    HULL # 396

Adventure Awaits

Getting one boat to be everything is tough. If other than the rolling the boat is it, just get some stabalizers. Maybe next boat should be "Second draft".
    Fred
    31 Tiara Open
    "Escalation"

Try the Berry’s next time. It s anlittle further but the bank is usually smooth. Great Harbor day has a great marina and plenty to do with a true out island feel.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Thank you all for the comments and advise. This journey has just begun for us.
    MASTERPLAN MIAMI
    1975 58 Ft. Yacht Fish
    8V71TI
    HULL # 396

Adventure Awaits

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Try the Berry’s next time. It s anlittle further but the bank is usually smooth. Great Harbor day has a great marina and plenty to do with a true out island feel.
    X2 on the Berry's. Spent 2 weeks exploring with Family.

We did 1 overnight at Bimini after checking in. Next morning took the north route to Great Harbour Cay. Arrived on a Friday and that evening their was a cool little festival at the marina with locals. Locals are very friendly and happy to engage. Rented a golf cart to visit some awesome beaches which we had to ourselves.

Then anchored at Soldiers Cay, Devils Cay , explored the Blue Hole at Hoffmans (bucket list item for everyone) . Took dingy over to Great Galding Cay - the closest thing to Gilligans Island I've ever seen. Finally spent 2 days at Chub Cay just to empty my wallet of any leftover vacation funds.

Yeah, You gotta do the Berry's.