Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

One Post Leads to Another

Brian inspired me to get back on it. My cockpit aft fuel tank access always bothered me. Peeling paint and generally nasty. Not sure why I hadn't tackled it before now, but appreciate Brian's motivational post.

IMG_0806.jpg
    Leveled out the surface with resin. Unfortunately, I forgot to add some structural runs.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Re: One Post Leads to Another

Sky's not going to be happy about the missing structural runs........

Walt

It won’t be pretty when that top oilcans. Not too late to go back and add those runs; be sure to scuff it first.
    Mike Peters, 1985 43MY, Cat 3208T, Blue Bayou; 2011 Key West 246BR, F250, Baby Blue; Punta Gorda FL

I have to ask--What is the red bolt for?

Also where did you find the capacity on your tanks? I cannot find anything in my owners manual etc but would assume it should be the same or close to yours. I know I am supposed to hold right at 1200 total

Quote Originally Posted by Briankinley2004 View Post
    I have to ask--What is the red bolt for?Also where did you find the capacity on your tanks? I cannot find anything in my owners manual etc but would assume it should be the same or close to yours. I know I am supposed to hold right at 1200 total
    Well the red bolt is the one I remove to stick the tank when start getting low. The capacity came from the plans. I hold 1,285 in total. That tank’s actually 913 gallons, but I don’t do 13’s. I won’t even go on a heading ending there.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by Briankinley2004 View Post
    I have to ask--What is the red bolt for?

Also where did you find the capacity on your tanks? I cannot find anything in my owners manual etc but would assume it should be the same or close to yours. I know I am supposed to hold right at 1200 total
    my capacities were listed on a plate mounted port of the fuel manifold, next to the vessel number tag
    '88 55'C hull 394 ​BEATs Therapy
    12-71 TA's ZF BW190 1.5:1 gears

Don’t have my drawing package in front of me, but I believe the tank capacities are shown on the applicable system drawing. I guess it could change a little from drawing to actual build, but I assume it would be pretty close.
    Mike Peters, 1985 43MY, Cat 3208T, Blue Bayou; 2011 Key West 246BR, F250, Baby Blue; Punta Gorda FL

Arrow Re: One Post Leads to Another

Novel idea on the red bolt. I was going to stick mine but couldn't find anywhere to do so. Im sure yours is at least 915 when the fill hose is full. Looks like my aft capacity was on a plate on the tank but the portion with the gallons has flaked off. I don't have anything near the fuel manifold other than the USCG number.

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    Brian inspired me to get back on it. My cockpit aft fuel tank access always bothered me. Peeling paint and generally nasty. Not sure why I hadn't tackled it before now, but appreciate Brian's motivational post.

Attachment 34969
    Leveled out the surface with resin. Unfortunately, I forgot to add some structural runs.
    This one was rebuilt by Craig from Top Hart. I wish I had before pictures what a fabulous job. It looks better than new. If you want to keep it shinny brass after buffing spray a clear over the top so it won’t tarnish.
    Attached Images
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Very nice Rusty.

Next project (related to fuel) is to disconnect existing tank vents and move to the interior of the cockpit. It's not that I feel compelled to fill the tanks to the brim, it's a case of increasingly zero tolerances for minuscule spills. There are some among us who have experienced this scenario. If you look at the definition of what constitutes a spill, it makes me scared to wear sunscreen lest a droplet of sweat roll off my forehead during a fueling creating a "sheen."
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC