Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Pretty Good Freshwater Deck Fill Adapter

Been using one of these 1-1/4" adapters to secure the water hose to the deck fill since I bought Aslan. The water pressure at my marina can go as high as 90 PSI. Even so, it may take 25-30 mins to fill a 380 gallon tank--I suffer from a short attention span. Finally wore it out, so here's the new Mk. II.

IMG_0798.jpg

Drilled a 1" hole in a 1-1/4" PVC threaded cap. Then press fit my quick connect sealing with JB Weld. The holes (4) drilled through the threads ensure any back pressure is relieved before stressing the tank.

Yep, the PVC is pipe thread. I just cross thread it into the deck fill a quarter turn and go. Took four years to finally Jimmie up the threads on the old one. Wouldn't mind finding something with machine threads, but this rig works just fine.
    Last edited by racclarkson@gmail.com; 09-25-2019 at 04:11 PM.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Re: Pretty Good Freshwater Deck Fill Adapter

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    Been using one of these 1-1/4" adapters to secure the water hose to the deck fill since I bought Aslan. The water pressure at my marina can go as high as 90 PSI. Even so, it may take 25-30 mins to fill a 380 gallon tank--I suffer from a short attention span. Finally wore it out, so here's the new Mk. II.

Attachment 34902

Drilled a 1" hole in a 1-1/4" PVC threaded cap. Then press fit my quick connect sealing with JB Weld. The holes (4) drilled through the threads ensure any back pressure is relieved before stressing the tank.

Yep, the PVC is pipe thread. I just cross thread it into the deck fill a quarter turn and go. Took four years to finally Jimmie up the threads on the old one. Wouldn't mind finding something with machine threads, but this rig works just fine.
    You are always thinking. Great idea.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I'm glad Robert is thinking.
    An idle mind is the devil's workshop.
    With his creativity we could all be in trouble no time flat.
    Looking for a 80 plus foot yacht
    Hatteras of Cheoy Lee

Be careful not to pressurize the tank. Those tanks can't take much pressure or they'll split. I won't do that to mine. I'd rather just stick the hose in there and wait for it to overflow the fill.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Basically with the vent holes, it’s just a glorified hose holder dumping a 3/4” stream of water down a 1-1/2 drain.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    Basically with the vent holes, it’s just a glorified hose holder dumping a 3/4” stream of water down a 1-1/2 drain.
    Maybe so, but I have heard stories of guys plumbing the dockside water with a valve to fill the tank and then bursting the tank. I think it was at one of the Hatteras Owners Schools that Roger or one of the guys said that if you had that setup, to always remove the deck fitting to provide extra vent so you didn't burst the tank. It was stated that you need something like 4psi to burst it.

Like I said before, BE CAREFUL.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

these tanks will burst, i did it to my 46sf. had the hose stuck in fill neck and turned the hose on. plenty of room around the hose for air to escape(so i thought) pulled the screws that hold the top of the tank to the baffles out, after that the tank top would bulge up long before water would come out of the vent. a plumber friend made a filler for me, 1/2 rigid copper about 6 inches long to go into the tank, up to a "t" one side of the "t" has about 2 inches of pipe with a cap, the other side has about 2 inches of pipe with a hose connection. the long part holds it in the tank fill and the "t" stops it from going too far into the fill. lots of room for air to escape from the fill neck. i fill it pretty fast with this setup and have had no problems
    Mis b' havin
    1972 58 yachtfish
    58yf352
    pass christian, ms.

I have a slightly similar/slightly different setup on my 63. PO installed a separate 150g Nalgene tank under the master bunk. He plumbed it from the cold water wash down line on the back deck. Between the hose and the deck fitting is a 40 psi regulator. Just forward the tank is a splitter with one line marked "AUTO" and the second "MANUAL". The manual side is just tank fill. The auto side is connected to a float switch which senses when the tank is near full and automatically shut off flow via a valve. This way, dock water can be left on constantly without fear of over pressurizing the tank and sinking the boat.

PO says used the system for years without problem. Me, I'm a coward and just full the tank as needed.

9. Re: Pretty Good Freshwater Deck Fill Adapter

I just set the timer on my phone for 30 minutes, then it’s either full or nearly so.
    Bill
    Brickell - Miami, Fl
    Cape Elizabeth, Maine

After four years, I think my fitting solves a problem in a safe manner.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC